Athletes bond during spring break

While students were renting beach houses, invading Austin, Texas for the South by Southwest music festival, and visiting family, some unlucky spring athletes were left behind.

Squads practiced and competed in games, abandoning their spring breaks, but numerous athletes were more than willing to stay on campus knowing that it benefits the team.

Spring sports such as baseball, men’s and women’s lacrosse, golf, and men’s and women’s tennis teams all sacrificed their party week for their team obligation.

Head baseball coach Nick Black said that his athletes recognized the commitment to stay on campus for break.

“If they wanted to go home for spring break, they probably wouldn’t play a spring sport,” Black said.

It is important for students to realize the life of a varsity competitor.

“They know that we have games and practices scheduled over spring break going into it,” said Black.

Dual-season athletes missed spring break, fall break, and remained on campus throughout J-Term as well.

Junior Emily Carter swims and plays lacrosse for Guilford.

“I’ve been here since Jan. 12, so I really did regret not being able to visit home during break,” said Carter.

However, dedication to the team wins out in the end.

“I had to honor my commitment to my team and my sports as a priority,” she continued.

During spring break, athletes were not provided meals at the cafeteria during the week because the cafeteria was closed.

“We would order pizza and have it together or go out somewhere to eat,” said Black. “It was hard to be able to feed 40 players without spending a huge sum of money.”

Team budgets made it hard to feed everyone for a week, but teammates grew closer since they were constantly together.

“The women’s team went to the lake a few times to play games and relax,” said Carter. “We had a movie night and pasta dinners or went out for meals. Our team is pretty close so we made the best out of it, won both our games, and practices improved the team.”

The men’s lacrosse team organized team-bonding events.

“We ate dinner together and had cookouts, so I feel a lot closer with the team,” said first-year lacrosse player Nick Caputo.

The women’s softball team traveled to a tournament at Myrtle Beach, S.C., and enjoyed waves and sunshine.

“It was nice being at the beach with my team, and it helped me not miss home as much,” said sophomore and softball player Marty Wilcox.

Some athletes missed home, as they had been here for so long.

“It would have been nice to see my family, but really I would have just been happy to relax with my pets,” Carter said.

Although family and pets were missed at home, the commitment of sports at Guilford came first. Maximizing stewardship, that is what Guilford is all about.