Student food options affected by Grill renovations

Here is a peek inside the Grill as it prepares for transformation.
Darren Brumbach

Since the start of the semester, Guilford College’s Grill has been closed due to plans for renovation. Returning students wonder when they will be able to enjoy its food options again, while first-year students anticipate the unveiling of an alternative space to the dining hall in Founders. Although the upcoming changes may seem worth it, students across campus have mixed feelings about the current state of Guilford’s dining services.

In an Aug. 21 email from the Division of Student Affairs, Steve Mencarini, dean of students, shared information about what is to come. The updated Grill is set to serve as a 24-hour accessible space which will include new televisions and games such as pool and ping pong. A new  smoothie and milkshake station is also planned as part of Grill improvements.

A shift in the hours of Guilford’s dining hall has provided accommodations while these changes take place. The dining hall has started serving Grill-style food choices after 8 p.m., with the exception of Fridays and Saturdays.

Guilford senior Kailee Hughes said that on a recent night, she experienced a long wait for dinner because of low staffing and a slow-moving dining hall line. “The line was insane,” she said. “I feel like it could have been planned better, with the Grill being renovated during the summer months when it wasn’t being used.”

Sondria Lacewell, another Guilford senior, looks forward to the new games that will be installed in the renovated Grill. “They will add more stuff to do other than just chat and eat inside,” she said.

While she is excited for these fun additions, she isn’t too happy about how the temporary closing of the Grill is affecting her peers. “Now that the hours are worse than before, some people can’t make it to lunch or dinner because of their class schedules,” she said.

For new students it is a bit different, since they have not experienced the Grill in its former glory. Max Kiederer, a first-year, is ready to have consistent options like the quesadillas and sandwiches he has been told about. He will also be visiting Rachel’s Rose Cottage, which will finally allow students to use meal swipes for its various drinks and pastries, as many students have requested.

Last academic year, there was much discussion among the student body about food insecurity on campus. One result of this was the Pay-it- Forward program, which offers the Guilford community an opportunity to donate meal swipes at the dining hall for individuals who need them.

Another way that Guilford is addressing food insecurity is through the Quaker Cupboard in King Hall, where students can donate and pick up food or other necessities when needed. However, the Quaker Cupboard is only available during certain hours, and The Grill’s temporary closure has caused there to be less food availability despite a growing number of students.

The August email from Student Affairs stated that students will be informed when Grill renovations are complete. No further information about an expected reopening date has been communicated to students.