Shutterbugs gather under Photo-thon’s light

A picture is worth a thousand words. If that is the case, then participants wrote a veritable novel at the first annual Photo-thon held by Photo Club.

The event took place in Hege-Cox Hall on Sat., Dec. 1 from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m.

“Our initial purpose was to provide a space where photographers could come together and spend time, learn and grow from each other,” said Photo Club treasurer and sophomore D’vorah Nadel.

The event was inspired by the similar Draw-a-thon.

“When I heard there was an event like the Draw-a-thon, but for photography, I grabbed my camera,” said Zach Morgan, a participating photographer and CCE junior.

Photographers were allowed to show up at any time and utilize student models for their photographic needs. The student models that signed up prior to the event could participate in 30-minute to hour-long slots for the photographers. They were paid five dollars for every 30 minutes they spent — as long as they filled out the requisite W-9 forms.

“We chose to pay the models because we had the budget to do so and because it is a common practice,” said Nadel. “They are spending their time and energy doing crazy things for our artistic vision, so why shouldn’t we?”

However, some models came for more than monetary gain.

“I don’t want to sound vain,” said sophomore Shelby Smith. “(But) I like people taking pictures of me. It’s fun and I’m photogenic. Why not?”

“I need a headshot for theater stuff, so this was a great opportunity,” said sophomore Noelle Lane.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for models and photographers to get to know each other,” said Morgan. “It really builds community.”

Not only did the event build community between photographers and their models, but also among the photographers themselves.

“I had many conversations with other Guilfordians who I had no idea were photographers,” said Nadel. “Now we have a shared experience.”

Lindsay Vanderhoogt, club secretary and junior, was pleased with the community turnout.

“I think it’s a very Guilford thing to say you’re going to go to an event but then not show up,” she said. “The fact that people actually showed up is wonderful. It really sets a bar for future events. We have dreams, aspirations, goals, big positive words for many future events now.”

“We plan on making the Photo-thon an annual event, which I dream will only get bigger and better with time,” Nadel said.

However, the event had an ulterior motive.

“The Photo-thon was also a way to raise the hype and visibility of the Photography Club,” said Nadel.

“I think there are so many talented photographers on campus, and yet we have an average of four people coming to our meetings,” said Vanderhoogt. “That sucks.”

Additional membership is imperative if the club wishes to continue holding events. Photo Club meets Wednesdays at 3 p.m. in the photo lab in the basement of Hege-Cox Hall.

“In setting up this event, we’ve realized a number of things for the future,” said club president and senior Nicole Lane.

Want to check out photos from the event? Then head to http://www.flickr.com/groups/guilfordphotoclub. As of right now, a Flickr login is required.

For more information on Photo Club, email [email protected]