Biohazard: not the Frisbee you know

Fernando Jimenez/Guilfordian
Guilford hosted the annual Ultimate tournament on April 9 and 10, bringing together both current student and alumni Frisbee devotees

Frisbee: the calm, college quad sport. Not for team Biohazard.

On April 9 and 10, the boisterous Frisbee enthusiasts hosted Whiskey Flick, the annual spring ultimate Frisbee tournament. Colleges from North Carolina and Virginia as well as Guilford College’s alumni team came to compete, and the competition was fierce.

“We haven’t lost to (Biohazard) in eight years,” said Jared Knight ’05, member of Guilford’s alumni team, Hazmat.

Despite blustery conditions on Saturday that left spectators and a few players in sleeping bags on the sidelines, the ultimate teams were in high spirits. The first day of the tournament included four games for each team in a round-robin formation. Team Biohazard divided their squad by age for Saturday’s matches. The Big Dogs had juniors and seniors while the Little Pups had sophomores and first-years.

Shouts and cheers of exclamation rose from the teams, and a positive atmosphere surrounded the event as a whole. The extreme weather conditions made for some wild throws, but none present seemed to mind all that much.

“I call this a spirited sport,” said senior Dale Prince.

The spirited Little Pups lost narrowly to visiting team Wingate University by a score of 7-6. Yet their vitality was not dented in the least, even heading up against the notoriously dominant Hazmat team. First-year Mahmoud Henderson cited his awe of the alumni.

“I don’t know the score anymore,” he said, after playing a half against Hazmat. “The alumni are just too good.”

At each game’s end, teams often create a unique cheer for their opponents.

“Popcorn, popcorn, munch munch munch,” chanted Wingate after a match. “Who do we think is a very fine bunch? Bio.”

While popcorn was not a concession item at the tournament, teams were provided with ultimate Frisbee staples: peanut butter, pretzels and pickles. The salty snacks help prevent cramps, and the term “picklehead” was thrown around by several members of team Hazmat, suggesting the proud, headstrong and foolishness of some players.

On the second day of the tournament, Biohazard combined to form one team. A late comeback by visiting Wingate dashed the team’s hopes for the final, but a solid performance against William and Mary University in the consolation game got Guilford a big win.

After the game, the two teams continued to play a comical, friendly match involving piggyback rides and other ridiculous formations.

“It’s very much about the spirit of the game,” said Biohazard co-captain and junior Patrick Nachlas. “Anyone can come out and play. We even have fun things we do for new people.”

Some Guilfordians were drawn to the lively Biohazard community from the beginning. First-year Natalie Bodian felt right at home with the team.

“I heard the Frisbee players at Guilford were some of the coolest and nicest people, and I was right,” said Bodian.

The coed community of Biohazard is unlike any other team at Guilford. The way some players break out into song or dance during the game shows a side of the sport that those unfamiliar with ultimate Frisbee may not understand.

“When I started playing, I didn’t really know what I was getting into,” Knight said, reflecting on his first year. “(There is) this special culture about the game. You (have got to) be relaxed.”

The fun-loving, raucous group has flourished as one of Guilford’s most popular clubs. Frisbee is always welcoming new members to the club. Beginner or advanced, join Biohazard. They are a family.