Oglesby leads in more than basketball

Gabby Oglesby, a junior on the women’s basketball team, proves to be a leader on and off the court.

Head Women’s Basketball Coach Stephanie Flamini appreciates having Oglesby as part of the team.

“She works very hard and she has the right attitude,” said Flamini. “She definitely leads us in many ways.”

Oglesby is still getting accustomed to this new leadership role she has found herself in.

“Now coach uses my name a lot in the sense of me being a leader to the underclassmen and to the whole,” Oglesby said. “I’m adapting to that and learning how to play that role this year.”

Oglesby’s teammates are also glad to have her on the team and find her to be a source for inspiration.

“She’s one of everyone’s favorites on the team,” said senior teammate Jaclyn Nucci. “Even in practice when it’s going bad or we need a pick-me-up, she can make a joke. Her sense of humor can pick us up when we need it.”

With the women’s basketball team off to a good start and considering their high profile success last season, there are certainly high expectations for what the team will accomplish.

“We are really coming together as a team,” said Nucci. “I think we are only going to go up from here.”

While Oglesby looks forward to team accomplishments, she is particularly focused on her ability to contribute to the team personally.

“One of my personal goals is to reach 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. Apparently I’m pretty close.”

Last season, Oglesby won recognition as the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Player of the Year. She was a key player in the team’s success and led the Quakers in scoring 14.7 points per game, 7.9 rebounds per game, a field-goal percentage of .514 and had 66 blocked shots.

Despite these impressive statistics which show her devotion to athletic improvement, Oglesby engages in many activities besides basketball.

Oglesby also finds enjoyment in making music.

“I play bass guitar sometimes,” said Oglesby. “I just do it for fun; I’ve been playing for three years now.”

However, schoolwork and academics are still a priority for Oglesby.

“School is obviously the reason why I am here,” said Oglesby. “School is first, basketball comes second.”

Oglesby is currently reading pro-basketball player Lisa Leslie’s book “Don’t Let the Lipstick Fool You.” She cites Leslie as an inspiring figure, in her achievements on and off the court.

“She has all these defining roles that she plays in her life that people don’t see because they think she is just a basketball player,” said Oglesby. “I relate to that a lot.”

Last semester, Oglesby excelled in a class called “The Female Athlete,” taught by Professor of Sports Studies Kathleen Tritschler.

“It was really wonderful to have Gabby as a member of last spring’s class,” said Tritschler in an email interview. “In fact, it was so great that I begged her to TA for this spring’s class, but unfortunately she needs to take a course for her major instead.”

Oglesby also cites church and religion as being an important aspect of her life.

“I try to go to church whenever I can,” said Oglesby. “When I am home, I am there every Sunday. God and family are the two most important parts of my life.”

Clearly, Oglesby has much to look forward to, both as an incredible athlete and as a diligent student.

“She is one of the best kids I’ve ever coached,” said Flamini. “More than being a great player, she’s an even better person.”