Senior leadership the backbone of women’s lacrosse team

The scoreboard read 18-7 after a grueling loss against Virginia Wesleyan in the first round of the 2011 women’s lacrosse ODAC playoffs. For the team last season it was a hard loss and one that will remain in their minds as they prepare for their spring 2011 season.

The women’s lacrosse team was 6-4 in the ODAC and 6-11 overall last season,  and is hoping to improve that record with the leadership of their senior class.

“We have a very strong senior class, most are three or four-year starters,” said Head Coach Matthew Grosso. Returning six senior starters, adding one junior transfer and five first-year players, the team is loaded with talent.

One of the key parts of the team this year is going to be senior Summer Frazier. Frazier was the second-leading scorer on the team last year, tied for seventh in the ODAC. She was also the leader in draw controls and after the first game this year will break Guilford draw control record with one hundred and sixty-one.

Frazier ended last season being the team leader in draw controls with fifty-five. She was also a huge contributor on the offensive end as well with forty goals and eleven assists, placing her second on the team with fifty-one points.

“This year, I want the team to really work together all over the field,” said Frazier when asked about the team goals. “We have a lot of talent and can do really great things when we work together.”

Frazier also has a list of personal achievements in her sights.

First on her short list are “beating the draw control record this year, having more assists and picking up more ground balls,” said Frazier.

Also, her pre-game ritual is to eat wheat pasta and salad for game-day meals. The morning of the game, she makes sure to eat a good balance of protein and carbohydrates.

Another player to keep your eyes on this season is senior Kat Carella, one of the emotional leaders on the team.

Carella, a Massachusetts native, has been a force for the team on defense and in the midfield.

With her sister Liz coming back as a sophomore this season, the tandem will be another bright mark for the Quakers.

“Her first few years we had her on defense, but due to many injuries last year we moved her up to midfield and it turns out that she was a incredible offensive threat as well,” said Grosso.

Kat was a very flexible player for the team. Last season she was fourth on the team with eighteen goals and two assists, finishing with twenty team points on the season.

One of the most versatile players on the team this season is Sarah Bradburd. A three-year starter, Bradburd has played almost ever position for the team.

She has been a helpful asset on both the offensive and defensive sides of the field. In her first season (2009) with Guilford she was named the Quaker rookie of the year.

Last season, Bradburd received ODAC honorable mention honors to top off a very productive season. She started every game for the Quakers in the 2010 season and racked up twenty goals, scooped up twenty-four ground balls and caused sixteen turnovers. She will be one of the keys to Guilford’s success this year.

E’leyna Garcia was a force on offense as a first-year. She led the team in points with sixty-four, scored forty-five goals and dished out nineteen assists.

Garcia also earned the honor of 2011 Guilford Rookie of the Year and ODAC honorable mention honors to cap off a first season that have her in contention to break a myriad of Quaker records.

“She is a incredible athlete, she has great size and strength, she is the whole package,” said Grosso.

“Team goals this year are to make it past the first round of ODAC playoffs and to maximize all of our potential this season,” Garcia said.

The season opener will begin with the Quaker Lacrosse Challenge against Pfeiffer and Belmont Abbey on Feb. 11 at 11:30 a.m.

“We have the talent to compete with anyone in our conference this year,” said Grosso. “The dynamics of the team are right and, if we stay healthy, we will be in good shape.”

“We want to be competitive this year like always,” said sophomore midfielder Rebecca Colley.  “We are trying to build the program; it has been seven years of stagnant win/loss records and its time to get the program rolling. We are going to work hard this year to prove ourselves.”

With the season just around the corner, the anticipation and excitement for the 2012 season is building.