Filed under In Print, News

Guilford College News in Brief

NFL Controversy Campus Discussion

On Thursday, Sept. 28, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Brothers Doing Positive hosted a campus dialogue centered around the recent NFL controversy. The event was planned in light of the many NFL players, coaches and executives taking a knee during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality. The event focused on Guilford’s thoughts on whether or not players should take a knee and if taking a knee promotes unity.

Mylène Dressler on The State of Things

Guilford College Associate Professor of English Mylène Dressler was a guest on WUNC’s The State of Things that aired on Tuesday, Oct. 3, where she discussed her new novel, “The Last to See Me,” which was released on Sept. 5. This is Dressler’s fifth novel. It is centered around a ghost named Emma Rose Finnis, who inhabits a mansion in California. Throughout the story, Finnis must fight for the land she believes to be hers. “The Last to See Me” is available on Amazon and at all major book retailers.

Workshop on using the New York Times online

The 2017-2018 academic year is the first year that Guilford students, faculty and staff can access the New York Times for free online. The workshop was intended to teach members of the Guilford community how to create an account to browse articles and other materials using Guilford’s NYTimes.com passes. If anyone was unable to make it to the workshop, they can access information about the New York Times online on the Hege Library website.

BAGC Boost Scholarship Information Session

On Oct. 5, the Black Alumni of Guilford College Alumni Board hosted an information session about the Boost Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to students of color who meet Guilford’s financial aid criteria and have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher. It is intended to cover unexpected expenses such as emergency travel, health-related issues, replacement of textbooks and other supplies and participatory costs for some programs. The deadline for submitting the scholarship application is Nov. 1.

Multicultural Education Department Book Club

The Multicultural Education Department hosted a book club meeting on Oct. 2. During the meeting, the club discussed the first four chapters of the novel “The Tree: A Journey to Freedom” by Guilford alum Minnette Coleman. The book tells the story of a slave named Epsie who runs away via the Underground Railroad in search of a tree that has been rumored to protect runaway slaves. The MED will be hosting a discussion for chapters five through eight of the book on Oct. 30.