10 alternative ways to spend your Valentine’s Day

I know I’m supposed to hate Valentine’s Day and all of its capitalistic glory. In some ways I do —check out #9 on my list to see how I would spend February 14th growing up. But in all honesty, I love chocolate, especially if it’s in a heart-shaped box.

Below are ten ways you can spend this Valentine’s Day, whether you’re in a relationship or instead celebrating Singles Awareness Day. If you hate Valentine’s Day and the obsession that comes with it, take advantage of the events and perks (some are free just for the day), or try to reclaim the day as your own.

10. Wait until the day after and buy lots of chocolate on sale.

I mean, if you want to buy into consumerism, this is the way to go.

9. Watch a marathon of Mafia movies.

This was my go-to during my angsty, lonely years. Not sure if this is a tradition, like some kind of twisted tribute to the 1929 Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre, but I’ve found all of “The Godfather” movies and “Goodfellas” on TV throughout the years. If you’re not so lucky, you can borrow “Goodfellas” from a nearby library and find “The Godfather” in the Hege Library.

8. Go to the documentary film screening of “The Trials of Muhammad Ali.”

The day after Valentine’s Day, head over to the International Civil Rights Center and Museum downtown Greensboro to watch “The Trials of Muhammad Ali,” with continuous screenings from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. The film follows Ali’s struggle to overturn his prison sentence for refusing to join the U.S. military service and his exile years when he was banned from boxing. Check out www.sitinmovement.org for more details.

7. Celebrate nine years of YouTube.

Can you believe YouTube was launched on February 14th, 2005? Throw a YouTube party to celebrate its birth — as in, just watch your favorite YouTube videos and then find some new favorites.

6. Want to see some theater? Over The Edge — Anti-Valentine Stories.

The Touring Theatre of North Carolina is performing Over the Edge, a production that is Anti-Valentine, comprised of short stories about failed relationships and some strong personalities. Catch the show on February 14th at 8 p.m. at Mack and Mack (220 South Elm Street). For tickets and more information, check out www.ttnc.org.

5. Rock climb with the Outdoors Club.

The Outdoors Club goes rock climbing at Tumblebees every Friday. Any questions? Contact the Outdoors Club at [email protected] or check out www.tumblebees.com.

4. Donate blood.

Show that you have a heart.

3. Go see some live local music.

Last Valentine’s Day I went to see MIPSO, a Chapel Hill folk, bluegrass-inspired band, out in Carrboro for a free show. That’s one of the pros of Valentine’s Day — you can probably find some free local music within a one-hour radius of Greensboro.

2. Buy cupcakes from Cupcakes for a Cause.

Freshman Veronica Zambrano Coffie is starting her own Bonner Site called Cupcakes for a Cause. She’ll be selling cupcakes all week to fundraise for CAAP. Every semester, she’ll bake and sell cupcakes for a different cause. Keep an eye out throughout the week for her.

1. Treat it like any other day.

You know, because it is any other day.