Amal Clooney next at series

On Nov. 13, lawyer and activist Amal Clooney will Bryan Series about her high-profile career as a human rights attorney.

“Her commitments to human rights and social justice causes were a match for Guilford’s commitments,” said Ty Buckner, associate vice president for the Bryan Series and advancement communications. “We were looking for someone who can speak to those issues on a more global scale, and she certainly can do that.”

Clooney’s career has taken her all over the world, where she has helped many people who have had their human rights violated . The University of Oxford and New York University graduate advises different governments as well as the United Nations on their responsibilities under international law.

Faculty and staff are excited about her upcoming Bryan Series appearance.

“I think attending Amal Clooney’s presentation will give students a … first-hand account of her experiences of being a human rights attorney,” said Hope. “Students will be able to ask her questions about specific cases that she has done, and to hear her talk about her experiences will be powerful.”

“Standing for human rights stands for promoting integrity and respect, which are guiding principles of Guilford College. Specifically, the preservation of humans rights preserves the dignity and quality of life of humans on Earth, and these two are goals that we seek to promote in what we teach here.”

Sophomore Mia Kulshreshtha is interested to hear about what Clooney has experienced throughout her career.

“I am looking forward to hearing about her experiences that she has had while working in the United Nations,” said Kulshreshtha. “I think it is important for people our age to understand the importance of human rights.

“I believe Amal Clooney is a great example of what a human rights activist, as well as lawyer, looks like and I am excited to hear what she has to share with us.”

Melissa Fourrier, junior and member of the Amnesty International Club, hopes students will consider attending the event.

“There’s so much we can learn from her expertise and wisdom in representing human rights defense,” said Fourrier. “We live in a day where people are afraid to speak truth. Afraid their reputations will be damaged, their interests will be insulted (and) their political agendas will not move forward.

“Amal is not one of those people. She is firm in her knowledge that all people are entitled to be treated with dignity and that all nations should uphold the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.”

Clooney will be speaking at the Greensboro Coliseum on Nov. 13, 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. There will also be a Q&A session at 1:30 p.m. the day of the event. Students and faculty can obtain free tickets to the talk through an online form, which will be sent through the Guilford Buzz.