Guilford sticks with sustainability, (again) placed in Princeton’s “Green Guide”

How often do you think about the future of the planet?

Guilford, apparently, gives it a good thought.

Environmentalism and sustainability are fundamental values here. The campus, staff and students are all encouraged to be as green as possible, which is why it’s no surprise that Guilford was named to the Princeton Review’s list of 322 green colleges.

What makes Guilford such an eco-friendly location? According to “The Princeton Review’s Guide to 322″ Green Colleges,” a “well regarded environmental studies program incorporates sustainability into a wide variety of academic fields while focusing on … service to the larger community.”

In addition to the larger community, Guilford makes an effort to encourage sustainability on a local level. Over the summer, 12 students and staff conducted research at the Bog Garden. David Hildreth, Professor of Education Studies, elaborated on his side of the research.

“Myself and a colleague examined why people come to the Bog Garden,” said Hildreth. “We really tried to focus on kids: why they come and, more importantly, what they learn from their experience at the Bog Garden.”

Hildreth went on to explain the results of the research. “We were able to examine how kids really benefited from being out in nature. The natural wonder that kids have being out there is just amazing.”

Visiting Instructor of Justice and Policy Studies Daniel Rhodes also participated in the research. “Initially, we were looking at the role of workers in relation to the Bog Garden,” Rhodes said. “But, as it turned out, the research grew to focus on the teenage scene, as it was becoming a major issue.”

As far as Guilford’s contribution to informing and shaping the youth population, Rhodes said, “students come here with an understanding of the sustainability issues on campus. We’ve done a lot to encourage this behavior within our community.”

On campus, students and faculty practice environmentalism on a daily basis: eating organic foods, using bikes, and conserving water through faucets, showerheads and water fountain use.

With ample opportunity to reduce their ecological footprints, many Guilford students would argue that the soul and spirit of Guilford is green.

Clearly, The Review agrees.