News in Brief 11/7/14

Mexico City, Mexico:

The elusive mayor of Iguala, Jose Luis Abarca, who has been on the run since the well-publicized massacre of six students and the disappearance of 43 more over a month ago, has finally been apprehended according to the BBC. The mayor was found with his wife, María de los Ángeles Pineda Villa, in a working- class neighborhood of the capital. The mayor apparently gave the order to local police to intercept buses loaded with the students and “teach them a lesson” to prevent them interrupting a speech by his wife, according to The New York Times.

Cairo, Egypt:

Eight men were convicted last Saturday of appearing in a video the prosecutor claimed was “shameful to God” and “offensive to public morals” according to The Guardian. The video reportedly shows the first gay wedding in Egypt. One man in a suit slips a ring on another mans finger, then they embrace and kiss while others cheer. The men have claimed it was a birthday party, and a controversial medical exam by Egyptian authorities determined that the men had not engaged in homosexual sex.

Nong Khai, Thailand:

One of the founders of the infamous illegal file-sharing site Pirate Bay has been arrested crossing into Thailand from Laos, according to the BBC. Hans Fredric Lennart Neij jumped bail and left Sweden five years ago after being convicted of copyright violations. The hacker, known also by the handle TiAMO, had been living in Laos and travelled to Thailand fairly regularly to visit a house he had there in a luxury resort.

New Delhi, India:

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has received international support for passing a U.N. resolution declaring June 21 as international yoga day, according to the Times of India. Over 50 countries, including the U.S., China, Nigeria, Canada and Brazil have voiced their backing for the declaration. “Yoga is an invaluable gift of our ancient tradition,” said Modi in a recent address to the UN general assembly. “It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature.”