Guilford College Football falls to Hampden-Sydney College in ODAC opener

Guilford College Football senior linebacker Nathan Campbell tackles Hampden-Sydney College senior running back Mike DeMasi on Appenzeller Field in Greensboro, North Carolina on Oct. 7, 2017. DeMasi had 111 rushing yards in the 21-18 victory over the Quakers.//Photo by Abigail Bekele/The Guilfordian

The Guilford College Football dropped their first Old Dominion Athletic Conference game of the season to Hampden-Sydney College. The Quakers fell by a score of 21-18 and dropped to a 2-3 record on the season.

Senior quarterback Karsten Miller passed for 210 yards and threw one interception. Miller also led the Quakers in rushing with 41 yards on eight carries and rushed for the lone Quakers offensive touchdown.  Sophomore wide receiver Tyriek Russell led the receivers with seven receptions for 60 yards. The offense totaled 289 yards, the lowest total for the team on the season.

The Guilford defense forced two turnovers by the Tigers. In the second quarter, sophomore defensive back Terry Singleton intercepted a pass from Tiger quarterback Alec Cobb and ran it 30 yards into the end zone for the Quakers first score of the game. With 4 minutes left in the game, Hampden-Sydney wide receiver Carter Cunningham fumbled a rushing attempt and the Quakers senior defensive lineman C.J. Nash recovered the ball on the Hampden-Sydney 41 yard line. The Quakers offense could not complete a pass and the Tigers offense ran out the game clock.

The Quakers have not won an ODAC game since Oct. 1,2016,  when they beat Catholic University of America to open ODAC play last season.

Guilford continues ODAC play on Oct. 14 at Washington and Lee University before returning home on Oct. 21 to play Shenandoah University.