Men’s lacrosse aims to shock their conference this season

This year, men’s lacrosse is looking to make history.

A small taste of success came last season when the team made its first appearance in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournament in over a decade. With eyes already set on a third consecutive winning season, the team plans to capitalize in big games to enhance their national status.

The goals of the team are to build upon the success of last season and shock the conference by finishing at the top of the ODAC and making it to the playoffs.

The team is using this theme as motivation for the upcoming season.

“Every day coach Carmean reminds us all that we share the same common goal, and it’s success at the end of this season,” said sophomore goalie Parker Styles.

With a well-bonded team and changes made in the offseason workout, it seems as though men’s lacrosse has developed a new formula for success.

Styles noted the differences in the foundations of this offseason and last offseason, which put more emphasis on things outside the game of lacrosse, such as hard work and dedication.

“This offseason, we developed a new program with a more distinguished workout plan,” said Styles.

Senior attacker and team captain Adam Fiore added to the difficulty of the offseason.

“It was much more intense, similar to a (Division I) aspect I would say,” said Fiore. “It was tough, but it has definitely paid so far in the season. In previous years, we still worked out and conditioned, but with the new program this year, everyone was able to bond with everyone on the team, which is vital, especially when getting to know the new (first-years) coming in.”

In addition, the team uses the doubt of others as motivation and look to stun some of the teams listed at the top of the conference.

“(The ODAC lacrosse coaches) usually put Guilford pretty low in the preseason rankings, and (they did it) again this year, as we were ranked sixth,” said Fiore. “In the past, we were ranked seventh and eighth, so, yeah, we’re moving up, but still, sixth is a slap in the face. It’s motivation to make us stronger and come out more prepared.”

The team is using this as a chip on their shoulder.

“In past years, we were more liable to roll over to bigger teams in the conference,” said sophomore midfielder Will Forrestal. “But now we are looking to become one of those strong teams in the conference, someone that can’t just be circled on the schedule and written off as a win.

“We know we can compete.”

And the team will have their hands full inside and outside of conference play. They will take on conference powerhouses with last year’s ODAC runner-up, Roanoke College, and last year’s ODAC champion, Lynchburg College, on the road. As for out of conference games, they will play strong clubs such as Elizabethtown College and Christopher Newport University.

In a sport with such high intensity like lacrosse, the team believes getting big wins in games like these will get people talking about Guilford, and their success will carry over into the next game, which is vital come playoff time. All will be determined by the team’s composure, which will be key.

“Especially as an upperclassman and leader, you have to stay composed and not show some of the younger guys that you’re angry,” said Fiore. “It really (channels) down to them. If I show that I’m upset, some of the (first-years) might say, ‘Oh Adam is upset, so I can be upset, and I can make mistakes.’”

The close-knit team looks to display their full potential and make a name for Guilford lacrosse this year.

“This is the best team I’ve been a part of at Guilford,” said Fiore. “We have a chance to go far in the playoffs and have a very successful season.”