Final Four preview

What do Stephen F. Austin University, Dayton University, Stanford University, Harvard University, Mercer University and North Dakota State University have in common?

They all were double-digit seeds that pulled off second round upset victories in the 2014 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.

“You knew that this year’s tournament was going to be insane when that final horn sounded in the Duke versus Mercer game,” said senior soccer player Michael MacVane. “It was at that point that my bracket went boom.”

The excitement of filling out tournament brackets was heightened when wealthy fanatic, Warren Buffett, offered a prize of one billion dollars to any fan who could fill out a perfect bracket.

After the opening weekend of the tournament only one person had a perfect bracket, and that person had not signed up to be eligible for the billion-dollar giveaway.

The second round also exposed the flaws in each of the Tobacco Road basketball teams that made the tournament.

Duke lost a thriller to Mercer due to a lackluster game by first-year phenomenon Jabari Parker.

“I feel like my career is incomplete,” said Parker to ESPN.com, leading to speculation that he may return for a sophomore season.

N.C. State blew a 16 point lead in the final four minutes against The Saint Louis Billikens in the second round after getting past Xavier University in the First Four round.

The North Carolina Tar Heels, one of the hottest teams entering the tournament, prevailed in their second round match up against Providence College.

But Iowa State and their Big-12 Conference Player of the Year, senior Melvin Ejim, were too tough for the young Tar Heels and narrowly advanced to the Sweet 16.

“Not having a Tobacco Road team in the Sweet 16 is always disappointing,” said Pat Miller, owner of Cooper’s Ale House. “But the fact that there is so much parody in the field should make the Final Four exciting enough that local fans will come out to our sports bar to watch it.”

Kentucky state rivals, the Louisville Cardinals and the Kentucky Wildcats, met in the premier game of the Sweet 16.

First-year twins, Anthony and Aaron Harrison, outpaced the defending champions, while 6’ 10” big man, Julius Randle, cleared the boards.

“Being a Kentucky fan this year has been interesting,” said Wildcat fan Greg Gampfer, a Navy Aviation Electronics Technician Petty Officer Second Class. “We’ve been used to excellence.

“This year has been full of up’s and down’s.”