Seahawks embarrass Broncos in Super Bowl

On paper, it was billed by BleacherReport.com as “the ultimate example of the immovable object meeting the unstoppable force.”

In retrospect, nothing could be further from the dominating performance put on display.

“I didn’t expect a blowout,” said senior Daniel Veizaga.

The Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos, two teams hailing from the West squared off in Super Bowl XLVIII.

The Seahawks boasted the best defense, in terms of scoring and yardage, during the regular season. By those same measures, the Broncos laid claim to the best regular-season offense.

“As an athlete, I’ve been told defense wins championships and offense wins games,” said senior football player Nick Mearite. “The defensive scheme gave Peyton trouble the entire game.”

There were plenty of storylines leading up to the Feb. 2 matchup at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Two years ago, five-time Associated Press NFL MVP quarterback Peyton Manning, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts, was brought into the fold in Denver with a fiveyear $96 million contract.

The Seahawks, in contrast, snagged quarterback Russell Wilson for a four-year $2.99 million in the 2012 NFL Draft.

“The pieces just fell into place,” said Michael Gatton ’13.

These past two years, both squads have posted back-to-back 10-win seasons.

Ninety days after open-heart surgery, Denver head coach John Fox hoped to lead his team to a championship. Victory was not in the cards.

Just seconds into the game, the ball sailed past Manning’s helmet into the end zone, resulting in a safety.

“The first snap was really disappointing,” said junior Byron Hamilton. “It was a real s— show.”

Weather was thought be a factor in the contest.

“Defense does well in cold weather,” said Early College senior Landon Fried, giving the edge to the Seahawks.

Though Peyton Manning has an 8–11 record in games when the temperature is below 40 degrees, the temperature at kickoff was 49 degrees — nowhere near freezing.

Students gathered around televisions across campus in venues such as the Milner Hall lobby, a bustling hub of fans ranging from the casual to hardcore.

“It’s a very exciting atmosphere,” said firstyear tennis player Mara Stern. By the end of the first half, the Seahawks held a 22–0 lead.

“The Seattle defense is very good, but Peyton will find a way,” said first-year baseball player Chase Massey, days before the game.

Any thought of a comeback, however, was shattered when Percy Harvin returned the second-half kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown.

The shutout continued until the end of the third quarter, when Manning passed for his only touchdown, and the Broncos made a two-point conversion.

Pete Carroll, recently voted by 22 percent of NFL players the most popular coach in the league, became the first coach to hoist a BCS National Championship and Super Bowl trophy.

Turnovers and a deficient rushing attack were major factors in Denver’s defeat. Manning threw two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown by Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith.

Smith also recovered a fumble during the game, locking up Super Bowl MVP.

The game made its mark in history, ending with the third largest margin of victory in Super Bowl history.

Manning now has an 11–12 playoff record. The loss, his second in the Super Bowl, casts doubt on his status as the best quarterback of all time.

“Peyton has a great legacy during regular season,” said Mearite. “He’s a great quarterback, but he can’t be considered the best after this game.”

As for Russell Wilson and the Seahawks defense, they get to bring the first Lombardi Trophy home in franchise history.