Flamini wins 200th game, Oglesby scores 1,000th point and claims back-to-back ODAC Championships

When the women’s basketball team ends their practices, they huddle in a circle. Each player and coach is to say one thing about practice.

“Good practice, bring it back tomorrow,” said sophomore Logan Harden after a recent session.

These comments refer to working harder, getting ready for the next opponent that dares to step foot on their home court and encouraging every practice to be greater than the last one.

Now, after a season’s practices, the Guilford’s women basketball team is recognizing their head coach and a standout student athlete for remarkable achievements.

On Thursday, Feb. 14, Gabby Oglesby scored her 1,000th career point during a recent game against Randolph-Macon College.

“It felt great, and I was really happy I was able to achieve something like this because I wasn’t able to in high school,” said Oglesby. “I’m very grateful for my teammates because I couldn’t have done it without them.”

Although Oglesby was unable to reach 1,000 points during her at Tabor High School, that didn’t stop her from one day achieving 1,000 career points.

Oglesby’s high school coach Rick Anderson stays in contact with Gabby and gives her advice when he watches her play.

“I am so proud and thrilled for Gabby and her accomplishments at Guilford,” said Anderson in an email interview. “She will forever be the example I give to girls (to prove) that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.”

Oglesby isn’t just an example of hard work and determination but a humble role model to her teammates.

“I look up to Gabby, and I am so proud of her,” said first-year guard Lila Scott. “She makes me want to get 1,000 points.”

Oglesby received encouragement from her support system, especially her parents.

“I believe prayer, support from family and friends, a love for the game, and a good coaching staff contributed to the player she is today,” said Oglesby’s mom Melinda Hart in an email interview. “It was a lifetime event I will forever treasure.”

The same night Oglesby reached her milestone, women’s basketball head coach Stephanie Flamini received a signed ball in recognition of her 200th win during a win against Emory & Henry.

“Reaching this milestone of 200 wins means you have longevity, and that’s important, especially in this business,” said Flamini. “The players are the ones that put the ball in the hoop. I’ve just been lucky enough to coach a lot of good players.”

The coaching staff expressed gratitude for working under Flamini during this record-breaking season.

“It’s a great accomplishment and an honor to be part of this,” said Student Assistant Coach Ryan Phillips. “It’s great that I could learn under her this year, and hopefully I can continue this next year.”

Before arriving at Guilford, Flamini was a graduate assistant coach for Deirdre Kane at West Chester University.

“Her success does not surprise me,” said Kane. “Coach Flamini knows that to last in this profession, you need to care about the student athletes as people, not just players. She seems to have found her niche at Guilford.”

On Sunday, Feb. 24, the team made history by winning the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship against Eastern Mennonite University for the second year in a row.

Towards the end of the game, several starters were in foul trouble when the stakes were high. With seven seconds left in the game, senior guard Brittany Atwater drove down the middle of the lane to put the Quakers ahead 61–59.

With solid defense and screaming fans, the Quakers came out victorious.

“The feeling can’t be put into words,” said Atwater. “It is an amazing accomplishment to win this as a senior.”

The awards didn’t stop there. Senior Morgan King, Atwater and Oglesby were selected for the All-ODAC Conference team and All-ODAC Tournament team. Oglesby also received the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

[photomosaic nggid=100]