Wait, Guilford has a swim team?

The women’s swim team is beginning a new season despite having to overcome several challenges, including a debate regarding their existence.

Resurfacing this year with Head Coach Emily Wilson, the team has settled into a new routine. Wilson, who acted as interim head coach for the second half of last season, had to step up quickly in order to keep the team afloat. Her efforts are already apparent to the returning swimmers both in meets and at practice.

“When I started as a freshman, we were lucky to get four girls at practice. Now we are practicing with at least six girls in the pool,” said junior Kendra Medina. “We have so much more talent on this team.”

Senior Becca Dozier has noticed changes as well.

“When Emily took over as head coach last year, I knew there would be a lot of change for the better and I can really see it this year,” said Dozier. “We have well-organized, well-planned practices.”

The swimmers may exist, but what about the pool?

“I think that the fact that there is no pool on campus plays is a major reason why people believe there is no swim team,” said Medina. “It bothers me a little bit, but I think it just comes with time.”

“(The team) copes by making the best of what we have. We bond during our trips to and from practice … at the American Hebrew Academy this season, and we are so lucky to be able to use such a nice pool,” said Dozier.

Big changes have happened both in and out of the pool including the change in practice location from Greensboro College, personal swimmer improvement and overall team goals Wilson has for her swimmers.

“For the team I expect a lot of new relay records along with personal records,” said Medina. “For myself, I am hoping to make finals again this year, but to also make top eight in the 100 back or the 500 freestyle.”

“Overall, we have excellent athletes that are going to add depth to our breaststroke, butterfly and individual medley events,” said Wilson. “At this time our competition is Emory & Henry College. I also think we can give the College of Notre Dame a run for their money.”

As the swimmers and their coach work hard to reset and re-establish the team on campus so that their presence is known to the Guilford community, Wilson believes that the team is already changing the face of Guilford swimming.

“Yes, Guilford has a swim team, and I am on it!” said Dozier