Scarabs, struggles and superpowers: ‘Blue Beetle’s’ unrecognized potential

More promotion of Blue Beetle when it was released in August might have attracted more fans. The movie is scheduled to make its streaming debut on Max Nov. 17.
Warner Bros. Pictures via Wikimedia Commons
More promotion of “Blue Beetle” when it was released in August might have attracted more fans. The movie is scheduled to make its streaming debut on Max Nov. 17.

If you were a superhero, how would you reveal your identity?  In “Blue Beetle,” when Jaime Reyes, a 22-year-old from the fictional town of Palmera City, reveals his superhero identity in front of his whole family, it is as much of a shock for him as it is for them. 

Early in this DC Studios movie, we also find out that Jaime’s goal is to get out of his hometown because his family is struggling to survive financially and keep their home. Jaime (Xolo Maridueña) can’t seem to find a job despite his college degree, leading him to take a job working in the mansion of villain Victoria Kord (Susan Sarandon). In addition to being the CEO of Kord Industries, she’s the owner of an alien scarab.

Victoria is in the process of restoring a military technology project called the One Man Army Corps, or OMAC, until her niece Jenny (Bruna Marquezine) tries to stop her. That leads up to one part of “Blue Beetle” that got interesting for me.

It turns out that the new technology for OMAC comes from the scarab. Jenny finds the beetle, steals it, and gives it to Jaime, telling him to take it but not open it.  Like things usually go in superhero movies, he goes home and does the exact opposite.  So Jaime ends up becoming the chosen one and turns into the Blue Beetle in front of his whole family.

Just like every movie or TV show, “Blue Beetle” has a catchy line you tend to remember. But this movie made sure you understood what the main character’s family meant by “family is forever,” because they are always there to support him and are always with him.

I liked the movie overall, but I think more people would have seen it back in August, when it was released, if it had been promoted more. It’s no secret that when you are releasing a movie, one of the important factors is promotion — because if you don’t promote the movie, then nine times out of 10, the audience isn’t really going to care about the movie.

Compared to this summer’s “Barbie” movie, it seems to me that tons of people weren’t aware of “Blue Beetle.”  To be fair, “Barbie” was promoted everywhere, around every corner. People were always talking about the movie and when it finally was released, it seemed like the only thing a lot of people cared about watching.

Now that I’ve seen “Blue Beetle,” I can say I’m glad I watched it. Maybe now that the character has moved from the sidelines of the DC universe to the spotlight, this superhero and the movie named after him will find a bigger audience.