Staff Editorial: Too much Cheerwhine at The Grill

How often do you gripe about The Grill or Quakeria?

Be honest, we’ve all done it ­— but are we making informed complaints? Do we know what is being done to bridge the communication gap between the company, Meriwether Godsey and the student body?

Chris Blain, retail and sustainability manager of Guilford Dining, addressed major concerns at the Guilford Dining Committee meeting on Oct. 8. Nine students, two staff members and the Meriwether Godsey management discussed customer feedback, communication, education and program improvements concerning the college’s food services.

One of the biggest concerns from the student body is the occasional shortage of any particular item at The Grill.

Blain explained in an email interview that the truck travels from Virginia, and if the problem occurs frequently, he strongly suggested that students contact him directly.

“Food is ordered based on the average number of an item sold, and orders are placed two days out,” said Blain. “We do our best to keep everything in stock, but if everyone is in the mood for chicken tenders on Monday and we sell them all by lunch Tuesday, I can’t get more until Wednesday.”

What about the smoothie station? Why do students have to wait so long? Blain and his team are working on making sure no one is left waiting at the register.

“The best trick when it comes to smoothies (or anything from The Grill) is to go to the register with a cashier,” said Blain. “You can order smoothies (or any food) from either register. Once you’ve ordered and paid, we’ll make your smoothie, and that way we’ll know you’re waiting.”

What about when the ice or syrup in the soda machines runs out? Students are expected to inform employees, but there is some buzz about staff attitudes. With new faces on the downstairs dining team, students may wonder about efforts to better customer service.

“You’ll notice the signs by the registers downstairs this week inviting students to apply for a position in the grill,” said Blain. “We are looking for a few strong folks to join our team and help provide a stronger bond to the community.”

It’s a lot easier to whine than it is to be understanding of limitations, so step up to the challenge; try to communicate your concerns to the staff instead, and then make the best of it.

“If something isn’t available, use that as an opportunity to try something new,” Blain suggested. “You might just discover a new favorite.”