Filed under In Print, News

Community unites in Defense of DACA

Chrisitina Gallegos, first-year student at Elon university, marched through downtown Greensboro wrapped in the United States flag to stand in solidarity with DACA receipients.// Photo by Fernando Jimenez/The Guilfordian

Fernando Jimenez

Fernando Jimenez

About 300 members and allies of the Latinx community marched through the streets of downtown Greensboro on Monday, Sept. 4 to stand in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program — also known as DACA.

The peaceful demonstration consisted of parents, children, college students and even a mariachi band that played classical Mexican music throughout the event.

DACA has transformed the lives of nearly 800,000 undocumented immigrants by opening the doors to better paying jobs. DACA receipients have been able to contribute about $1.2 billion in tax revenue to the economy, without fear of deportation.

President Donald Trump ordered an end to the DACA program on Tuesday, Sept. 5 through an announcement from Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The decision will affect more than 800,000 individuals by revoking their legal ability to work and limit their opportunities.

Chrisitina Gallego, first-year student at Elon University, marched through downtown Greensboro wrapped in the United States flag to stand in solidarity with DACA receipients.

“When people gather in multitude and come together to become one, we can make our voices heard,” said Gallegos.

This is the first protest that Maria Lopez-Gonzalez, second year student at Wake Tech Community College, has ever attended. “You can tell we have a very strong community and a very rich culture,” said Lopez. “To all Dreamers and people protected under DACA, I want you to stay strong and know that you are not alone. Because at a time like this, that is the easiest thing to forget.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Community unites in Defense of DACA”

1. Marvins Gay on September 11th, 2017 9:22 pm

Soooooo if they came to Guilford without going thru the process would they be welcomed with open arms????
    Me thinks not.

[Reply]

Samuel Miranda Reply:

Coming to Guilford through what process Marvin? Submitting the college application and forms? Providing admissions with their ACT/SAT scores? Paying around $48,000 in tuition every year? Do you SERIOUSLY think undocumented students sit around doing nothing and paying nothing to receive an education?

Every undocumented and DACAmented student currently enrolled in this institution has worked hard to get here and their families have gone through countless sacrifices. I am sorry that you have been filled with hatred by your family and peers and you fail to recognize the humanity of an individual lacking a green piece of paper. Please get informed.

[Reply]

• Community unites in Defense of DACA

In Print

Using storytelling, activism to promote social change

• Community unites in Defense of DACA

In Print

HUG honors Latinx Heritage Month, talks DACA

• Community unites in Defense of DACA

Features

Greensboro unites to celebrate Pride

• Community unites in Defense of DACA

In Print

NC joins multistate lawsuit defending DACA

• Community unites in Defense of DACA

Features

Convocation welcomes first-years to Guilford