Max Carter set to retire at the end of spring semester

Max Carter, director of the Friends Center, adjunct professor of religious studies and beloved member of the Guilford community, will be retiring after 25 years at Guilford College.

“Max has been a key person in highlighting and maintaining Guilford’s Quaker identity,” said Jim Hood, professor of English. “(Life) without Max will very different.”

“He has supported students in many ways and has always stood for what’s right,” said sophomore and president of Community Senate José Oliva.

In honor of Carter’s long commitment to Guilford, President Jane Fernandes announced that he would be named the William R. Rogers Director of the Friends Center. Max will be in charge of overseeing the operations the Friends Center conducts, such as Quaker-run events and fundraising. An anonymous donor has contributed $500,000 to endow Carter’s new position as director.

The donation is especially significant as it will enable the continuation of Carter’s new position and hopefully serve to protect the Center from economic difficulties.

“The donors wanted to honor Bill (Rogers),” said Carter.

Rogers was Guilford’s president from 1980 to 1996.

“Bill was a wonderful president,” said Carter. “He started the Quaker leadership scholar program, started the library, sings with the ministry in the Greensboro community, worked for the Friends Center and worked for the board of trustees.”

Carter believes that the legacy of Rogers is essential to the continuation of the Friends Center.

“It should guarantee Quaker positions,” said Hood. “Having lived experience is really important. As some Friends schools have said, ‘Quakerism should be caught not taught.’”

“We haven’t been all that successful in hiring really excellent people who are practicing Quakers,” Hood added. I’d like to see more Quaker staff, faculty, administrators, and trustees”

According to Carter, the number of Quaker faculty members has been decreasing over the years.

“I remember when 15 percent of the Guilford College faculty was Quaker,” said Carter. “Now, I can name every Quaker faculty member by building on campus. Is Guilford really a Quaker a college?”

A Quaker presence on campus seems to be lacking.

Although Carter will be retiring at the end of this semester, he plans to continue his involvement in Guilford.

“I will still lead the January Term study abroad program to Palestine with my wife, Jane,” said Carter. “I’ll be teaching part time at Wake Forest. I’ll have more time to travel to see grandkids, maybe a little bit of writing if the spirit so leads.”

And the directorship he’ll be keaving? ‘“It’s a wonderful position, and I must be insane to step away from my dream job”