Twelve new faculty arrive for 2014-15

Freshly mowed green grass, soaring lush trees and bustling adorable squirrels. This is the scene that welcomed Guilford’s 12 new full-time faculty members in August.

“I liked the feel of the college,” said Professor of Business Management Michael Dutch when asked why he chose Guilford. “I think the sense of community the college touts is real, and you can feel that when you walk on the campus. I find that very attractive.”

Betsy Mesard, visiting assistant professor of religious studies, said she felt at home at Guilford.

“I’ve had a wonderful time here so far,” said Mesard. “It has been great getting to know other faculty.

“All summer I heard wonderful things about the students, and I’m glad that I’m finally having the chance to know students as well.”

Visiting Instructor of Sport Studies Michelle Wells shares a similar view.

“I’ve been impressed with how responsible the students are and how much they take ownership of their learning,” said Wells in an email interview. “The faculty and staff have been incredibly nice, and I’m pleased to see how inclusive everyone is.”

Although the new professors have only been teaching courses at Guilford for a week, they already have expectations for students during and after their time in college.

Both Dutch and Ron Cardwell, assistant professor of accounting, suggested that they want their students to be able to approach and make decisions in an ethical basis.

“I don’t define what that ethical basis is for them, but I point them to different ways to determine that,” said Dutch.

Assistant Professor of Mathematics Danielle Moran has two different — but equally important — expectations.

“I hope (the students) continue to ask questions and learn new things that interest them, even if they don’t have much to do with anything else,” said Moran. “The other is more of an attitude — I hope they take with them the principle of equality, the idea that they themselves are not worth less than anyone else, nor are they worth more.”

Students are not the only ones who are expected to live up to certain standards.

“I expect that a new professor would be excited to teach at Guilford,” wrote a student who requested to remain anonymous in an email interview. “He or she should be prepared to teach a lot but also to learn a lot, since Guilford is so unique and rich in culture.”

“Providing a setting and engagement for students to learn in, no matter which way or type of learning they excel in,” is what a different student who requested to remain anonymous said in reply for the expectations of new faculty.

Assistant Professor of English Mylène Dressler also had advice to offer the new faculty.

“(Faculty members) have to stay light on our feet,” said Dressler. “We are a very diverse and dynamic community, and our classrooms are full of surprises, and we have to be ready for that.”