January Term enrollment increases as deadlines near

This year, for the first time, the Strategic Long-Range Plan is implementing a January term so students can maximize their experience from the moment they arrive on campus until graduation.

As the registration inches closer, the success of Guilford College’s maiden J-Term will be put to the test. One way this can be examined is through enrollment.

“I was hoping, in my wildest dreams, that 50 students (would) submit applications,” said Professor of Theatre Studies and Director of Study Abroad Jack Zerbe. “Over 70 students submitted applications for J-Term study abroad, which is huge for a semester. We hope to have a final acceptance list on Oct. 8.”

Although there are over 70 J-Term study abroad applications under review, a mere 18 students are currently enrolled in on-campus J-Term programs, according to Zerbe. However, on-campus program applications are expected to rise as the Nov. 2 application deadline approaches.

Students like senior Traynham Larson are already planning on studying abroad for J-Term.

“The idea of studying the Israel-Palestine conflict is a great opportunity that I wouldn’t get any other time in my life,” said Larson. “This is the hotbed of religion. We’re going there to make a difference; that’s valuable in what I want to study.”

Like Larson, sophomore Allison Stalberg also speaks about her excitement to participate in J-Term study abroad.

“Every time I travel, it’s like a spiritual experience,” said Stalberg. “I’m applying for the Oxford Fantasy Writers in England because life can be short, and doing these types of programs with a group builds more perceptions.”

Due to financial restraints, many students feel hesitant to take part in J-Term. Along with potential grants, the committee hopes to suggest a new plan that provides more financial assistance for interested students.

“The second part of the pilot is trying to reconfigure financial models to include a small J-Term fee in student tuition,” said Zerbe. “So, for anyone who wants to do an on-campus project, it’ll be free, but nothing is set in stone.”

In addition to studying abroad, J-Term allows students to partake in innovative independent or group studies at a reduced cost.

“I really want to do something for J-Term. I can put it on my resume and create my own dream project for credit or non-credit,” said junior Saima Noorani.

Assistant Dean of Career and Community Learning Alan Mueller hopes to teach two J-Term programs: Quaker Funk and Leadership, and Interviews: Arts of Improvisation.

“We’re going to do improvisation comedy in the class like ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’,” said Mueller. “Also, we’re going to practice job interviews and compare the two because the reality is every job interview students go on is improvisation. There is a connection between thinking on your feet in the job interview settings.”

Despite the artistic and imaginative nature of Mueller’s planned courses, current enrollment is low, but it is expected to rise as the cut-off date looms. Other students are enrolling in programs such as the Cold Case Investigation project, which has already hit maximum capacity.

J-Term is a one of a kind opportunity that can fulfill credit requirements, fill space on your January schedule and enhance your resume. There is still time to apply for J-Term projects like Application Development for iPhone and iPad (iOS), Woodworking and Furniture History, and others.

“I got three students signed up for Woodworking and Furniture History,” said Professor of English Jim Hood. “I need more; I can take up to 10.”

Friday, Nov. 2, 2012 is the last day to register for seminars, internships, service, and independent or group projects. Contact your advisor quickly for more information.