Students spring into break

Picture hours filled with service work, road trips and exploration. Imagine long days with warm weather, great memories and relaxation. This is spring break week for Guilford College students.

Students made their spring break plans in advance, scheduling numerous adventures and trips for the week. Before the break, The Guilfordian looked into some activities students had planned.

First, Campus Ministry Coordinator Frank Massey spoke about three trips that students were involved in over spring break.

In Texas, the students planned to volunteer with immigrants at the border and learn about immigration problems that are currently a political hot topic.

In Summerville, South Carolina, students planned on repairing a home damaged in a natural disaster.

Massey said this trip is one that is regularly scheduled during breaks and is coordinated with Friends Disaster Service, a Quaker religious group that works with volunteers to help those affected by various natural disasters.

Another trip, to Washington, D.C., was organized with the Friends Committee on National Legislation, a Quaker lobby group.

“We’re going up to study (and) learn about mass incarceration and the mandatory minimum sentencing,” said Massey.

They also planned on lobbying members of Congress.

“(The work trip is) great because it brings together different communities, and there’s a lot of good sharing and getting to know others on the campus that we really don’t rub shoulders with,” said Massey. “It’s long days, but … it’s good work, and we really enjoy it.”

Through the Bonner Center, first-year Bonner scholars planned to go to St. Helena Island, South Carolina, to do service work for the Gullah Geechee.

According to National Geographic, the Gullahs that inhabit St. Helena Island are ancestors of slaves whose culture is being threatened.

First-year Bonner Scholar Kylee Crook spoke about her expectations for the trip.

“I’m expecting to grow closer with the first-years, … I’m expecting to learn about this community, which I don’t know a lot about going in … and just really get a better understanding of what Bonner stands for as well,” said Crook.

While many students had service trips planned, others intended to continue schoolwork over the break.

Senior Jonahs Jones made plans to go home to vote and then work on her thesis on creative writing for the Honors Program.

Others had out-of-state trips planned with family and friends as a getaway.

Junior Katie Bullard went to New York City to visit family, watch a Broadway musical and explore the city with a friend to take a break from school.

Toward the end of break, The Guilfordian spoke to Bullard again in an email interview.

“The (Broadway) show was phenomenal with the costumes, set, music and cast,” said Bullard. “I have to say that if anyone needs a suggestion for a show to see, I highly recommend ‘Aladdin,’ whether or not the cast is the original.”

Junior Zach Lindsey and his friends headed to Florida for a busy week. They visited Orlando, Key West, Miami, West Palm Beach and Universal Studios.

“It’s going to be very exciting to see how things unfold on a day-to-day basis, but it should be fun, and it should be memorable,” said Lindsey. “I’m expecting the unexpected.”

After the break, Lindsey spoke about his experience.

“It was great to be able to relax and put school and other important things … on the back burner for a period of time,” said Lindsey in an email interview. “When you get older in life, you don’t have enough time to spontaneously go on a road trip with friends and being able to … was great.”

Overall, students took advantage of their week off from classes to enjoy time with family and friends. Whether students were serving others or traveling with friends, their spring break trips truly represented the life and character of Guilford.