‘The Rimers of Eldritch’: a collaboration sure to impress

Get ready, Guilford, because on Nov. 7, Sternberger Auditorium will transform into the home of the Department of Theatre Studies’ first production of the season, “The Rimers of Eldritch.” This intriguing, plot-twisting piece will be unlike any show Guilford has seen before, challenging myths about small town America.

“I hope that people come out and see it,” said Marc Williams, visiting assistant professor of theatre studies and director of “The Rimers of Eldritch.” “It’s a very timely play that speaks to contemporary American life, not just life here on Guilford campus, but what it means to live in this country right now.”

This fractured murder-mystery, written by Lanford Wilson 48 years ago, is set in 1966 Eldritch, Missouri. Do not expect your average period piece on the woes of the inhabitants of small town America; this once-thriving mining community turned rundown Bible Belt town is anything but boring. Wilson provides a truly intricate inside and outside look into the lives of this tiny Midwestern town.

“It’s short, exciting and will absolutely keep you captivated from the moment you sit down to the second the lights come on,” said CCE senior theater major Patrick Brandt, who plays Skelly Manor, the local hermit. “I would my put my word on it that you will be entertained.”

An inventive approach to the process of interpreting a challenging script involves the production crew, the actors and director Marc Williams, visiting assistant professor of theatre studies. They have been working together as a team to effectively tell the story.

“It has been really fascinating to watch,” said junior theater major Victoria Saraldi, who plays Martha Truit. “We have great scenic, light and sound designers. That’s Robin Vest, Jesse Belsky and Tracy Cowit. They are super- talented and have come together to make Marc’s artistic vision happen.”

The mystery aspect of the script makes for an interesting and dynamic plotline. Oftentimes, the scenes skip from season to season or month to month, so, in order to capture this nature, the crew had to get creative.

“Our performance space is a flexible one,” said Williams. “It is very easy for us to play with the actor-audience relationship, which can be very different depending on the play.”

The stage has been configured as a traverse, which is a stage that bisects the audience. The addition of actors pushing movable wagons around the traverse aids audience perspectives on the constantly changing events.

“No matter where you are sitting in the audience you get to experience a different part of the world we are in,” said sophomore theater major Lindsey Zeritis, who plays Nelly Windrod. “We are constantly moving around, the whole world of the play is constantly moving around and it doesn’t matter where you are seated. You will definitely be seeing something significant and interesting.”

It is not just the makeup of the stage that is different. In this particular production, there is no backstage.

“It truly is an ensemble piece,” said Williams. “Seventeen actors, all on stage, all the time. No one ever leaves the stage. It’s something none of us have ever done before.”

From first-time actors to actors who have been in upwards of four Guilford productions, over these past few months, everyone has been working together, so they can not wait to hear audience opinions.

“To be honest it’s a pretty confusing show,” said Zeritis. “We go through time and space a lot, but I am excited for people to see it the way we are displaying it and see what they make of it.”

Robin Vest, visiting assistant professor of theater studies, resident designer, scenic designer and costume designer, has worked collaboratively with actors to reach their common goal of the play making sense. That does not mean just the stage; the actors need to look the part as well.

“I think it’s going to be beautiful,” said Vest. “There is going to be a sad beauty to it aesthetically, and the play itself has a real kind of jagged edge and a fierceness. I think the juxtaposition of that story with what we will be looking at is going to be fascinating.”

The audience is sure to have an experience unlike any other production that has taken place in Sternberger as a timely play, rich with socially relevant topics. There are sure to be tons of connections made, hopefully opening up interesting dialogue regarding the issues raised throughout the plot.

“Strap in, it’s going to be a really interesting ride,” said Saraldi. “I’m excited to put my work in front of everybody else, and I know the rest of the cast and crew is too.”