Colorful hair grows and streaks across the campus

Bleach, hair dye, latex gloves and a bold personality.

These are just a few things you may need to dye your hair an unconventional color, such as pastel pink, lime green or navy blue.

Chances are if you walk through Guilford College’s campus on any given day, you will run into someone with colorful hair.

“It’s pretty normal,” said senior Deanna Moquin. “I’m not surprised when I see people with dyed hair.”

For many, hair dye is a medium of expressing themselves.

“Doing different things with your hair is a great way to express yourself, and it’s not something that’s permanent,” said Janet Wright, faculty secretary and ombudsperson.

For others, it is a way of rebelling.

“I get really spiteful, so when someone tells me that I can’t do something, I’m going to do it,” said first-year Alex “Tiger” Ward, who has curly brown hair with a pop of bright red color in the front. “It’s kind of a rebellious thing. Women are supposed to be pretty and dainty, and I’m like, forget that, I do what I want.”

Some do it because of the aesthetic appeal.

“Honestly it’s totally vain,” said Aron Correa, a first-year with a history of dying their hair all the colors of the rainbow, including rainbow. “I think it makes my eyes look better. I think it suits my personality more. It just looks better and spices things up.”

Wild hair colors are becoming more popular and accepted within the Guilford community.

“I like how people feel more comfortable changing things about their body and their physical appearances,” said sophomore Lucy Kokenge Hartsock, who has a pixie cut with orange and yellow highlights. “I appreciate that people are becoming more accepting of different types of creative expression.”

As for choosing a color, many students experimented with different colors before finding their favorite.

“I’ve done pink and blue together,” said Amber Reid, a CCE senior with short hair and teal highlights. “I didn’t like the pink because it fades too fast. I liked the blue though.”

Bold hair colors are often used to express unique personality.

“I think it makes a statement,” said Ward. “For me, red is a color of passion. I’m a very passionate person, and I’m very passionate about music.”

Ward has dyed her hair pink, purple and red, which she prefers the most.

If you are afraid of dyeing your hair yourself, simply head to a salon.

“I go to a place called ‘A Beauty Parlor,’ and the woman who does my hair is Lindsey Wilkerson,” said Reid. “If someone goes to her and says they were recommended by me or anyone else they’ll get a discount on their first visit. Her prices are incredibly reasonable, and she’s willing to work with someone if they’re not entirely sure what they want. I’ve gone in having no idea what I really want to do with my hair, and she always helps me figure something out that always ends up looking great.”

Otherwise, if you’re willing to take a risk and dye it at home, Manic Panic seems to be the most popular brand of colorful hair dye.

“My favorite product for coloring is probably Manic Panic, but I stick to using argon oil for when my hair gets dry and untamed,” said Laura Navey, a first-year with aqua-blue hair.

Or perhaps you could enlist a friend to help you dye your hair.

When asked what color she plans on dying her hair next,  Navey mentioned asking for a friend’s assistance.

“Probably whatever my friend chooses,” said Navey. “I like to give him creative freedom over things like this. He’s a genius when it comes to stuff like this, and it’s really fun to be surprised.”

To those who are thinking of dying their hair, Navey offered some advice.

“Research, research, research,” said Navey. “Know what you’re getting into. Also, and most importantly, hair grows back. Don’t be afraid to experiment. No one thought I was cut out for blonde hair, but I went for it anyway and I loved it. Life’s too short to play it safe.”