New endowment allows CPPS to continue providing unique opportunities

“A practical liberal education applied to real world problems.” Too big of a mouthful, right?

Well, if you were sitting in on the 7:30 a.m. brainstorming sessions with Kent Chabotar, professor of political science, this is how you came to understand the Center for Principled Problem Solving.

What came to be known as CPPS is an extensive program run by Director Mark Justad that focuses on equipping Guilford College students with the skills that enable them to work productively with each other. This will provide them with the necessary skills to make their communities more just and sustainable places.

Senior Sam Metzner was one of 16 Principled Problem Solving Scholars during 2013 – 2014.

“Some of the things that I learned that have proven to be useful was what I learned about leadership styles and working in a group,” said Metzner. “From working with others at Guilford, to my experience post Guilford, I think

it’s important to have an idea of how well you work in groups and what your role will be, whether it be in the workplace or socially.”

To assure the future of such a program, setting up an endowment is important. This can allow CPPS to sustain itself so that more students can get what Metzner received from participating in this program.

By the good graces of trustee Dan Mosca and his wife Beth Mosca, CPPS will receive an endowment of $2.5 million. Due to the fact that this is a challenge gift, whatever Guilford raises the Moscas will match, dollar for dollar, making the total sum an outstanding $5 million.

“As part of the Mosca family’s generous challenge gift commitment of $2.5 million, trustees are asked to name the Center for past president Kent Chabotar when a total of $5 million is raised,” said Ty Buckner, associate vice president for communications and marketing, in an email to The Guilfordian.

“According to our Advancement office, as of this date, the College needs approximately $1 million in additional new gifts to complete the fund.”

The Mosca family’s altruistic dedication and commitment to CPPS has truly supported the Center and is helping to sustain the program, making the future look much more promising.

“Dan Mosca is a wonderful trustee and he is very involved in PPS,” said David Hammond, chair and professor of theatre studies.

Jack Zerbe, director of study abroad and international programs and professor of theatre studies, worked as a PPS faculty fellow with Chabotar in the early stages of CPPS and watched as he steered the program the whole way from the brainstorming committee to the creation of CPPS.

“He certainly was the person who articulated it and helped us understand that principled problem solving might be a way for us to uniquely brand practical liberal education at Guilford College,” said Zerbe. “It seemed a pretty logical thing to do as a way of honoring one of the major players who dreamed it up in the first place.”

Guilford students should take the opportunity to check out the Center, located in the rear of King Hall’s first floor, to see all that they have to offer our community.