Compliments page hopes to be campus pick-me-up

With 495 friends and rising, Guilford Compliments might just be one of the most popular “students” on Guilford’s campus.

“We started this as what we hoped to be a kinder alternative to Guilford College Confessions,” said the anonymous page manager.

After the infamous Guilford College Confessions page was briefly taken down a short while ago, Compliments took off, spreading student love and brightening days.

Students as a whole are thrilled with the change.

“It’s so much better than the Confessions page,” said first-year Molly Anne Marcotte.  “There’s no negativity.”

Because Confessions was taken down after experimenting with instant posting, Compliments’ monitoring system is a refreshing change.

“Guilford Confessions was definitely going in the wrong direction, especially once the page stopped being monitored,” said sophomore Stephanie Byer. “Things started coming through that were incredibly hurtful, and it was getting really out of hand. Compliments is definitely moderated really well.”

Students believe the page is an improvement over Confessions, but it does much more than serve as a replacement for a failed Facebook group.

“It’s a wonderful page that can really make someone’s day and give them a sense of confidence in just being themselves and implementing their own character into their everyday lives,” said Marcotte.

Praise for Compliments has been coming non-stop since the page was created.

“It’s a great way to boost the self-esteem of those at Guilford,” said first-year Darion Bayles.  “It gives people a chance to know that people are grateful for them.”

For a lot of students, this page really makes a difference.

“I’ve gotten two or three, which sort of blows me away because I don’t think anybody knows who I am,” said junior Sidra Dillard.

For the creator of the page, the hope is just that.

“We wanted to brighten everyone’s day a little bit. We’re not trying to change anyone’s life, but hopefully this is a step towards a healthier, more loving campus culture,” said the page’s manager.

Students have been excited not just about getting compliments, but giving them, as well.

“I wanted to pass on the love,” said Byer.  “I didn’t know who complimented me, however I immediately thought of someone who could use that sort of boost.”

Giving peers a boost is just one reason to use the page.

“I’m not consciously trying to make someone’s day, but I just want them to know that they’re doing the right thing just by being themselves,” said Marcotte.

As for the anonymity the page gives, it offers students an opportunity to say things they never would have the courage to say in person.

“It’s all anonymous,” said first-year Danny Wang.  “You don’t know who’s complimenting you, you just know that somebody likes (you).  It’s a good feeling.”

The College’s administration also has a reason to get excited about compliments.

“If a student was going to go to Guilford and they looked at Guilford pages, it wouldn’t be something that would sway them away,” said Marcotte.  “It would be something that would encourage them to come here because they would feel really embraced in this environment.”

Overall, students are thrilled with the anonymous Facebook page.  Keep it up, Compliments!