Spring has sprung: CCE SGA hosts Spring Fling

A mechanical bull. A dunking booth. Line dancing. Face painting. Funnel cakes. Inflatables. Music. Laughter. Spring has finally sprung. On April 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the CCE Student Government Association hosted its annual Spring Fling celebration.

It was a day to let your hair down, exhale and have some fun. This has been a Guilford tradition since 2002. Fingers were crossed that the cloudy sky would hold its rain until the event was finished.  CCE students with children in tow, traditional students, faculty and staff alike shared in camaraderie.

Associate Vice President and Dean for Continuing Education Rita Serotkin said that the purpose of the Spring Fling is to celebrate the end of another year.

“It is a time for everyone to relax and enjoy the semester is almost over.”

“The Spring Fling is our time to enjoy the fruits of our labors,” said senior and CCE SGA president Victor Lopez. “We recognize CCE students for their hard work. Plus, who doesn’t like food?”

The day began with an awards ceremony, which was kicked off in Quaker fashion with a moment of silence.

CCE students were recognized for having the highest GPA of graduating seniors. Each department also gave awards to students for other outstanding achievements.

Serotkin saw the event as an opportunity for recognizing the students because they have worked so hard and juggled so many things and against all odds, here they are.

Smells of hamburgers, hot dogs and chopped barbecue wafted through the air as guests filled their plates and stomachs. Seventies and ‘80s music wrapped around folks young and old, causing them to sway and sing along.

Kids waited excitedly in line to have their faces painted or ascend the rock-climbing wall and ring the bell at the top.

The cotton candy, Italian ice and funnel cakes summoned nostalgia and a youthful energy.

In years past, Spring Fling was a much more formal, expensive affair. Later, the CCE SGA decided a better use of its funds would be to create a more family-friendly and cost-effective event.  The current board decided it was more practical to offer a CCE scholarship as well as pay for the services of a counselor, both things some CCE students were in need of.

According to sophomore and Publicity Director of the CCE SGA Monica Jones, long hours and several months went into planning. They wanted to be sure this event would be one Guilford College and the whole community would enjoy.

“It is also a chance for the community to see what is going on at Guilford,” said Jones. “It is important for us to make connections outside of campus.”

“I think it is great that the College thinks enough of CCE students to allow an occasion like the Spring Fling to take place,” said junior Joyce Jasper-Morant.  “It is wonderful.”

CCE students and one guest attended free, and two cans of food or $5 were donated for each additional guest. Collected food was donated to the Bonner House. Money raised will be donated to the National Kidney Foundation.

“We are all Guilford students, young or old,” said Lopez. “Having food, social gatherings and awards to validate our efforts is very important and necessary.”