Four tips for on- and off-campus fun, no vehicle required

The week can be long and stressful, but when it’s finally over, the weekend lies ahead in all of its shining glory. There are so many possibilities. The world is your playground and that eight-page paper you have due next week can wait.

Except there’s nothing to do.

This is a common complaint heard throughout campus on any given weekend. It’s even worse when you don’t have a car to escape campus.

However, there is hope.

The Guilfordian has complied a list of four tips to consider to escape boredom.

Join the club.

Guilford can sometimes feel like its own small town. With this environment, some find it difficult to branch out and meet new people.

This is where clubs are particularly helpful.

Clubs are a place where people with similar interests gather to network, branch out and hang out. Guilford has plenty of clubs with all different interests to cater to the diverse student body, like the Guilford Film Society, PRIDE or Yachting Club. There are plenty of clubs to suit your interests.

Sports on campus are just as diverse. From rugby to golf to lacrosse, there’s no reason not to sign up.

“It’s so easy to get involved,” said sophomore Amanda Wimer. “Just email Interclub Council Chair Karen Turner, and she’ll help you get in contact with whatever club you’re interested in.”

Don’t fear the reaper — or rather, the bus.

Many students on campus neither trust nor like the Greensboro bus system. While it is not as reliable as a major-city bus system, it’ll still get you where you need to go. The schedule is available online, and with enough practice, using it can become second nature.

It can even be fun.

“Have someone with you while you travel and just explore Greensboro,” said sophomore Charlie Coates. “I’ve had adventures before and have really gotten to enjoy Greensboro.”

Utilize Guilford and its neighbors.

It’s difficult to look at the place where you go to school as a place where you can actually have fun. However, it is more than possible. Just look around. Believe it or not, there’s more than just the North Apartments.

“The woods provide hours of entertainment, especially if you don’t know the trails,” said senior Emily Stamey.

“I think the library is very (underutilized),” said sophomore Patrick Withrow. “There’s plenty of pleasure reading and tons of DVDs in the basement for a movie night.”

However, when campus does become dry, escaping to places within walking distance is always a viable option.

“I love getting outside the Guilford bubble and eating out,” said sophomore Eli Cloonan.

There are plenty of places to choose from, particularly in Quaker Village including: Taqueria El Azteca, Carolina’s Diner and Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, to name a few.

Whether you stay on campus or venture out a few blocks, Coates offered some great advice, “Make your own fun.”

Master the art of carpooling.

Even with the bus system, sometimes you just need the convenience and comfort of a vehicle.

“Make friends with someone with a car,” suggested junior Adam Faust.

However, there is etiquette to master when asking for a ride. Remember to ask them ahead of time, look up directions for them, chip in for
gas, and always make the experience pleasant for your driver too.

Just master these tips, and you will effectively avoid boredom at Guilford College.