Greenleaf back in business

“Awesome, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, delicious, nutritious, gangsta,” said new Greenleaf member and junior C.J. Green when asked to describe the student-run coffee co-op.

The Greenleaf faced a scare last semester when Mary Hobbs was scheduled for renovations. The plans presented the members with a lot of obstacles and caused a frenzy within the little community. However, the Greenleaf is delighted to hear that they’re here to stay, even though the Mary Hobbs renovations have only been postponed to a later date.

Now that those troubles have passed for now, the Greenleaf volunteer members are excited for the new semester and passionate about rebuilding their reputation.

“We’re making great leaps to close the gaps we realized,” said Greenleaf member and junior Elizabeth Munyan, commenting on how the renovations and other troubles of last semester caused a decline in the co-op’s reputation.

“We had a hard time with consistency and keeping open,” explained senior Virginia Shutler. “We lost a lot of seniors and we didn’t have as much freshman interest. There’s a lot of energy this semester and a lot more freshmen are interested.”

You can definitely feel that energy when you visit the Greenleaf.

“We’re all communicating a lot better,” said junior Kelsey Worthy, a Greenleaf member. “We’ve had time to see where we’ve struggled. We’re a lot more motivated. The big scare about getting kicked out was just the boost we needed to recognize what the Greenleaf had to offer.”

That dedication has drawn a lot of prospective members this semester. To become a member, one needs to cover two shifts and join one of their committees, which range from accounting to beautification to maintenance. Shutler described volunteering to be more like an extracurricular than a job.

That laid-back atmosphere certainly fits the Greenleaf, and the members are succeeding in garnering first-year interest.

“I came to see a band here and knew a girl who said to check it out,” said new member and first-year Addy Allred. “I’m looking forward to working with people passionate about co-ops and making Guilford a better place.”

Passionate is truly the correct term.

“Passionate, committed, friendly, accepting and safe,” described sophomore Ines Sanchez De Lozada, another Greenleaf member. “Members are dedicated and really believe in the space and mission statement. We really do support one another, and we become friends. Once you come into it, it’s not as exclusive as it seems.”

In addition, the coffee is popular among its customers. Sophomore Chelsea Yarborough, a customer considering becoming a member, recommends the Chai Bomb.

“It’s really good and really helps to wake you up,” she said. “The prices are also good. It’s a lot cheaper than Starbucks, and you don’t have to walk all the way across campus just to get coffee.”

The Greenleaf is right near home for the residents of Guilford College, and for many, a home itself. Nestled in the shade, the distinctive Greenleaf sign sits in the shade, pointing toward the basement of Mary Hobbs.

Will you stop by? Have a cup of coffee? Join the family.