New disc golf course is a fun new hole-in-one

As you begin a normal afternoon meandering through the meadows — ­­­the sun shining, the breeze calm — you may now stumble upon a group of your friends having the time of their lives.

This is courtesy of the newly formed Disc Golf Club, which has installed a disc golf course in the Meadows.

The course itself is spaciously spread throughout the Meadows, weaving through the wooded and grassy areas, with each hole presenting a new challenge. The course is a gratifying way to spend a beautiful afternoon.

“I hope (the new course) gets people out there in nature,” said sophomore and Disc Golf Club president Nate Secrest.

Secrest has taken on the project of building a disc golf course before. His high school senior project was coordinating and constructing a disc golf course at his high school. His experience has been crucial in the construction process and will help keep Guilford’s course up to par.

The club is new to campus, and due to hard work and dedication, the current course has nine holes with proper disc golf baskets. There are nine more baskets on the way to make it a complete 18-hole course. Students will be able to rent out discs from Founders Hall’s Information Desk at their convenience.

The club hopes to install tees and signs so players know where to begin each hole, what direction the basket is in and what type of terrain they are dealing with.

“I haven’t really played disc golf before, but it was fun to get out there and try something new,” said senior Taylor Shaw after playing the Meadows’ course for the first time.

“(Disc golf is) an innovative and inexpensive twist on the game of golf, which costs way too much in memberships and equipment to play regularly,” said Aaron Hale, a former Guilford student and local disc golf extraordinaire.

Disc golf has become a widespread sensation since the Disc Golf Association was founded in 1975. Now websites share statistics and reviews of disc golf courses across the nation. Currently, there is only one course listed in Greensboro, which has been rated at 2.46 out of 5. The Meadows’ course has the opportunity to be a local disc golf hot spot.

“If (the new course) gets really popular — which I think it might considering how low the ratings are in Greensboro and how much interest I’ve heard from students alone — I think that it could probably be the best course in Greensboro or the Greensboro area, if the work gets put into it,” said Secrest. “It has potential to be really great.”

Once the course is completed, there is talk of a grand opening event and possible tournaments. Secrest also mentioned the possibility of having a few workshops on weekends to teach people about disc golf, the course and the sport in general.

“The challenge of playing disc golf is that it is nothing like throwing a normal Frisbee,” said Gabe Fraboni, a local disc golf enthusiast. “You have to completely relearn the process of properly throwing a disc. The challenge it presents is a fun one to take on with friends.”

Once the course is completed, it will be a fixture in the meadows for years to come.