Cut out those coupons, save some money around town

Is eating at the school’s caf or picking out lunch from the same menu at the Grill or Quakeria just not cutting it for you? Have you found yourself wanting to purchase an item from your favorite store but not a single dollar is to be found in your wallet?

It’s especially important to save money as a college student, and couponing is a fantastic way to start.

Now, I’m not saying that you have to get up every Sunday morning and look through the dumpsters to gather as many coupons as you can like in TLC’s “Extreme Couponing” show.

With classes to study for, practices to attend and football night games in action, we just can’t find the time to fit hours of couponing into our schedule like the people on TV.

“I don’t blame (extreme couponers) for what they do,” said sophomore Brittany Drew. “If I had time to do it, I would. In this economy, it’s always good to save.”

The first logical place to look for coupons is in the Sunday paper, where you will find them in the slick inserts folded into the middle of the paper. Coupons include items for groceries, store coupons, household cleaning products, hygiene items, and coupons for health and beauty. You’ll also find great deals on restaurants and travel.

If you don’t have time to get the newspaper, try browsing the Web for some great deals. Make sure to visit Coupons.com, RedPlum.com, SmartSource.com, Groupon.com, DealCatcher.com and DealTaker.com for coupons that cover a wide variety of items.

Janet Wright, faculty secretary and ombudsperson, has firsthand experience with outdated coupons.

“I do try to rid my coupon wallet of outdated coupons,” said Wright. “Occasionally one will slip through and the cashier will hand it back.”

Are you finding yourself struggling to afford those late-night diner runs or even those 1 a.m. Jimmy John’s deliveries? Many restaurants in Quaker Village offer great deals that are wallet-friendly for students.

Carolina’s Diner offers 10 percent off your meal when you present your Quaker Card ID, along with a Frequent Diner program that is free to sign up and allows you to win points toward a free meal.

Elizabeth’s Pizza not only buys produce from the Guilford Farm but is another restaurant that offers 10 percent off your meal with a valid Quaker Card ID.

You can enjoy some frozen yogurt and visit our very own Zachary Kronisch, junior and president of the rugby club, at Menchie’s. They offer a customer rewards card known as the “Smileage card.”

With each purchase, you earn points that will eventually earn you free money towards the store. And yes, I said free!

Now, it would be a shame not to take advantage of all these great deals. Couponing is an easy and fast way to save, and who doesn’t love saving money?