Football team’s high rank in the ODAC matches high hopes

The 2013 Guilford College football team delivered a truly fine season, losing only four games out of 10 while handily defeating many strong opponents.

This year, hope swells as Guilford boasts a high preseason ranking in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, a strong returning quarterback and an optimistic coaching staff.

“The sky is the limit,” said returning quarterback Matt Pawlowski in an email interview with The Guilfordian. “I think that this team is more focused than we have ever been, and we have every intention of winning the ODAC.”

A victory in the ODAC would give Guilford a spot in the Division-III playoffs, allowing them to vie for a chance at a national division III title.

The team’s high hopes stem from a strong foundation and hard work in the preseason.

“This year’s training camp got the team’s personnel hungry for success this season,” said Pawlowski.

That sentiment is mirrored by the team’s offensive coordinator Chris Barnette, who commented on the college’s success with bringing in new student athletes.

Barnette sounded confident in this year’s recruiting class, remarking on their enthusiasm as they take on their roles as part of a team.

Equally promising was Barnette’s description of the upperclassmen leadership.

“(The juniors and seniors) are really taking (the underclassmen) under their wings, and combine that with the recruiting class we have, we’re on pace to have a successful year,” said Barnette.

The 2014 season kicks off on Sept. 6 with the 18th annual Gate City Soup Bowl against cross-town rival Greensboro College.

The Soup Bowl spurs attendees to contribute to charity by bringing two cans of food for admission.

Last season’s game proved a suspenseful, high-scoring contest that saw Guilford win with a last-minute touchdown.

The excitement for this year’s game has begun to radiate from the team to the rest of campus.

Guilford junior Collin Gendron explained to The Guilfordian that he has experienced a rising optimism surrounding the team.

“When the team wins, more people want to come out and show support because the games are just more fun,” said Gendron.

Anticipation for the season has even spread to the Early College.

Early College students Zach Patel and Dylan Erikson spoke to The Guilfordian about their knowledge of the team.

Patel admitted, “I had never really heard of the Soup Bowl before this year.”

Both students said they had heard a growing buzz throughout the Early College.

“I think attending could be a good time,” said Erikson. “We should be more connected to (Guilford sports) since many of us are so disconnected from high school teams.”

For a fun, charitable Saturday night, come on out to support the Quakers in their season opener Sept. 6 at the Armfield Athletic Center. Do not forget that two cans of food get you in for free.