Democracy in action: Scotland votes to remain a part of the United Kingdom

An opportunity for freedom — has it gone to waste or is it the dawn of a new age?

1.6 million votes were counted, a turnout of about 86 percent of the nation. With 31 out of 32 councils declaring no to independence, Scotland’s democratic proceedings ended with the decision to remain part of the United Kingdom.

“The Scottish referendum was an incredible demonstration of democracy,” said Associate Professor of Political Science Ken GIlmore. “The fact that it had such a massive turnout and no violence was truly remarkable — more power to them.”

On Sept. 18, nicknamed “the day of unity,” Scotland held a referendum to determine if the nation should remain part of the United Kingdom or dissolve the 300 years of unity with Great Britain and become an independent country.

“We welcome the result of yesterday’s referendum on Scottish independence and congratulate the people of Scotland for their full and energetic exercise of democracy,” said President Barack Obama in a statement released by the White House. “Through debate, discussion and passionate yet peaceful deliberations, they reminded the world of Scotland’s enormous contributions to the U.K. and the world, and have spoken in favor of keeping Scotland within the United Kingdom.”

Perhaps because of the initial surge of nationalism and call for independence, however, this decision was by no means a landslide victory, with 45 percent voting “Yes” and 55 percent voting “No” to independence.

“Post-imperial Britain has become sclerotic and corrupt vide (an) 850-strong unelected House of Lords,” said former leader of the Scottish National Party Gordon Wilson in an email interview with The Guilfordian. “The Union is outdated. The only nation that counts is England with 85 percent of the U.K. population. A social and political revolution has occurred here in Scotland and can be a wakeup call for other nations.”

Shortly after the decision to remain unified with Great Britain was announced, First Minister and Scottish National Party leader Alex Salmond announced his decision to resign in mid-November. The decision was mainly accredited to Scotland rejecting independence. Salmond announced that, despite stepping down, he would want to serve as a member of the Scottish parliament.

“I believe that many people decided it would be too much of a hassle separating from Great Britain,” said Early College sophomore Maksym Kosachevsky. “Not only would they have to handle their own affairs, they would also no longer be (protected by) the UK’s army.”

Some days before the referendum, United Kingdom party leaders Ed Miliband, Prime Minister David Cameron and Liberal Democrat chief Nick Clegg signed a pledge to authorize Scots’ “extensive new powers” — including tax-raising authority — if they remained part of Great Britain.

Thus, by declining the offer to become independent, Scotland has managed to not only prevent itself from having to undergo structural changes but also from having to establish its own financial market.

“For many in Scotland and elsewhere today, there will be strong feelings and contrasting emotions — among family, friends and neighbors,” said Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in a public statement.  “That, of course, is the nature of the robust democratic tradition we enjoy in this country. Knowing the people of Scotland as I do, I have no doubt that Scots, like others throughout the United Kingdom, are able to express strongly held opinions before coming together again in a spirit of mutual respect and support, to work constructively for the future of Scotland and, indeed, all parts of this country.”