Ruehling’s summer solidifies love for ocean, volleyball

How was your summer? This question has been the focus of quick conversations as students return for the start of the fall semester.  For sophomore Kelsey Ruehling, that question cannot be asked enough.

Ruehling completed a five-week marine biology summer course at the island of Bonaire in the Caribbean.

The program was comprised of two two-week sessions that consisted of basic aquatic first aid and scuba-diving. Already an accomplished scuba-diver, Ruehling was able to hone her skills in the Caribbean.

“I’m open-water certified in California, so I got a taste of those waters,” said Ruehling.  “And then I went down to Bonaire and got my advanced and rescue certification.”

As a southern California native, she has always been in love with the ocean.  After high school graduation, she aspired to study marine biology and oceanography, but instead committed to Guilford.

Why not transfer to a school located closer to the ocean?

Ruehling admits to second-guessing her decision to attend Guilford, although those thoughts were short-lived.

The financial benefits, Guilford’s Quaker traditions and the opportunity to play volleyball influenced her final decision.

“I made the choice to come to Guilford for other reasons,” said Ruehling. “But I always kept marine biology in the back of my mind, and this summer just solidified it for me.

“This experience has made me even more conscious of the opportunities at my disposal.”

The summer opportunities offered, either through Guilford or an affiliated program, allow for students to study away from Guilford without having to dedicate an entire semester to their program.

This is especially valuable for students and student athletes whose passions cannot be sustained by the landlocked nature of Guilford’s campus.

“Given our location, along with the fact that we have decided to focus on local biology, we still have students who we can prepare for marine biology careers,” said Dana Professor of Biology Lynn Moseley.

“Fortunately, we are connected to a number of affiliated institutions that offer programs such as the one Kelsey did. For folks like Kelsey, who are student athletes, it is often the summer programs that work the best.”

In addition to summer courses, Guilford’s J-Term program offers up to three weeks of experiential learning courses, both off-campus and at Guilford.

Head volleyball coach Emily Gann praised its implementation.

“I was very excited when Guilford decided to add the January term,” said Gann in an email interview. “I believe many students may be leery of studying abroad for an entire semester, especially student athletes that don’t want to miss time with their teams.”

Ruehling, the reigning Old Dominion Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year, plans on starting her own tradition.

“I chose to do this program because of its opportunities,” said Ruehling. “It’s hands-on experience, and that just means I need to do the same thing every summer.”