Staff Editorial: J-Term should improve, continue beyond pilot

Experiential learning. Independent studies and projects. Study away, study abroad. For credit, even four-credit classes. Since it began five years ago, January Term has grown to include a wonderful hodgepodge of opportunities for students to expand their knowledge, experience new places and earn credit towards graduation.

Enrollment in the three-week semester has increased each year since its inception. However, with just one year left in J-Term’s pilot phase, Guilford has to decide whether or not to continue the short semester. We at The Guilfordian vote “yes” … with a few qualifications.

First of all, we believe J-Term should expand its course options that give credit toward graduation. Though the term was originally meant to include only experiential programs, we believe that restricting J-Term to electives excludes students who don’t have the extra financial resources to take a class just for fun.

With more variety in classes, more students will be able to use J-Term to their advantage. However, this coincides with other necessary adjustments to the program’s structure in order to provide the full college experience.

These changes include increased hours for the cafeteria and standardization of class requirements for courses necessary for graduation. Namely, students should be able to expect the same amount of work for a four-credit class regardless of its instructor — and they shouldn’t be expected to continue working into the regular semester because the class assignments were consolidated in the last week. In some cases, this may mean more work than students have done in the past, but students should expect that from a four-credit course.

J-Term is a great opportunity for Guilford students to focus on a specific subject, conduct independent projects and experience new places — the kinds of opportunities that many students, particularly athletes, don’t have during the regular semester. With some changes, students can continue to take advantage of J-Term’s offerings well into the future.