Support for CCE students needed

As a Center for Continuing Education student, I experience Guilford College differently than traditional students.  As an adult student, I face countless challenges my traditional student peers do not. Along with classes, homework and exams, I am raising two boys, run a household and endure a lack of support from loved ones.

But I am not alone.

Most of my fellow CCE students face these same trials, as well as work full time jobs.

“Having children that play sports, and working, plus going to school is a juggling act,” said senior and CCE student Sonya McCorkle. “I don’t want to miss any of their activities because I (have) always (been there) for them,” said McCorkle.

Since CCE students encounter greater obstacles, we need more support and resources to enable us to succeed as students. Guilford has some admirable resources available to adult students.

Friend to Friend mentoring, the CCE Student Government Association, the Career Development Center, Hendricks Hall and individual counseling are all geared toward adult students. Yet, even with these resources accessible, many adult students still struggle to balance schoolwork with other responsibilities.

Most professors I have had seem oblivious to the fact that adult students have family obligations outside of the classroom.

One major resource that we need is assistance with childcare.

“I am a single parent and I work full-time, said senior and CCE Student Government President Sarah Dreier-Kasik.  “There are traditional students that work full-time as well, but it is rare that the combination exists.  So, childcare is an issue.”

It is common to see CCE students bring their child with them to class because they don’t have adequate childcare.

“I have seen students have their child sit in the library, computer lab or even outside the classroom while they attend class,” said McCorkle.

A program where students could exchange childcare duties would be beneficial.

“The one thing that I would like to see offered to CCE students would be childcare coordination — maybe a work study program for students while their fellow students attend class,” said Dreier-Kasik.

Along with childcare, homework is problematic as well.

“Trying to help your children with school work and do your (own) homework (too) is difficult,” said McCorkle. “You feel guilty because you have schoolwork that has to be done.”

I cringe when my sons impatiently say, “Mom, homework again?” My children don’t always understand why mom can’t spend as much quality time with them because I have to devote so much of it to Guilford.

CCE students need professors to understand that overloading us with work causes us to struggle to stay in school and could lead to us dropping out.

Another resource that would help adult students is a support group for mothers or single parents.

Many adult students don’t have an effective support system in place, so a support group where students can share frustrations and get encouragement would give them the motivation they need to continue their education.

Also, more activities where CCE and traditional students could merge and close the age divide would ease some tension among the two groups.

As we head towards the end of another semester and traditional students take a break from classes during the summer, CCE students still must work, take care of children and manage heavy family commitments. There seems to be no rest for the weary.

Bottom line, we CCE students need more resources to help us get everything out of the college experience that we need.  We support Guilford with tuition dollars, and we need Guilford to support us with more tools to succeed.

Guilford is about inclusivity — why stop at the younger crowd?