Staff Editorial: Town hall provides hope for future student-trustee talks

The board of trustees. What an elusive assembly of important individuals.

We hear this encompassing term for a group of people who monitor the well-being of our institution, and we know they handle all of our finances, endowments and endeavors towards improvement.

Yet, as much as we appreciate the tremendous work they accomplish, we still cannot help but feel as if they are mythical.

Just as one might not take the time to realize how integrally impressive, say, an airport is, we doubt a majority of the campus’ population really has any idea as to the behind-the-scenes importance of the board.

You arrive at an airport and, as all the little pieces fall into place and begin to function, you likely don’t go down the list appreciating every aspect of the airport’s functionality and how it is affecting you. All you want is to concentrate on your journey, or bite into a delicious soft pretzel from Auntie Anne’s Pretzels. But without the system, there would be no journey.

The board of trustees is no airport, but without the board members there would be no journey of higher education. They are the people in control of room directing traffic and making sure students reach their destination.

But we do not really get to see the people directing air traffic, now do we? We trust in the system to bring us safely to where we want to go.

Yet, the board members are in the tower, and they are more than just donors or people with stylish suits and dresses. They care. They completed their college careers, went on to success and still take the time to volunteer on a demanding committee to make sure we keep our heads above water. That is not just caring — that is pure love.

While we do not necessarily need to know how we get from point A to point B, it does not hurt to know, and it certainly deepens our understanding and appreciation.

Recently, we as a body have been questioning how we get from here to there, and we have challenged ourselves to open a dialogue with these mysterious entities. The town hall forum last Thursday was just the foundation of putting the passengers into direct contact with air traffic control.

We hope the continuing conversation will be fruitful and mutually beneficial.