School board banning of ‘Invisible Man’ shows ignorance

“I am an invisible man … I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.”

So begins Ralph Ellison’s highly acclaimed, timeless novel: “Invisible Man.”

I had the privilege of reading “Invisible Man” my senior year of high school, and it left a lasting impression on me.

I was amazed by its continuous, poignant use of symbolism and by the artful way which Ellison both criticizes and commemorates internalized racism.

“It’s one of the most symbolically rich novels in American lit, let alone African American lit,” said Dana Professor of English Carolyn Beard Whitlow. “Every character presents dilemmas and quandaries that are appropriate for any young person.”

Unfortunately, a force of great ignorance refused to see the literary value in this novel and threatened its crucial ability to impact the perspectives of students like me.

This powerhouse of uninformed prejudice is fueled by North Carolina’s very own Randolph County Board of Education.

The board voted 5-2 on Sept. 16 to pull Ralph Ellison’s 1952 literary classic from its schools’ shelves.

This move was bred from a mixture of sheer stupidity and blindness on the part of the board, and I am enraged that anyone actually believes banning books is a constructive move.

While the overwhelmingly negative backlash against the board’s decision actually caused the ban to be revoked, the issue still stands as pertinent and outrageous.

According to Asheboro’s Courier Tribune, the board’s decision was spurred by a complaint regarding the book from Kimiyutta Parson, mother of a Randolph High School 11th grader.

“I would suggest that that parent take a class,” said Whitlow.

I would suggest that Parson wake up and realize that destroying educational opportunities for kids is not commonly considered to be good parenting.

“If a parent has an objection to a book, that parent can get a replacement for their child,” said Visiting Instructor of English Caroline McAlister. “When that parent goes to the school board and tries to get (them) to ban the book so that no one can read it, then it’s a problem because they’re imposing their morality on everyone.”

The imposing mindset of Randolph County is greatly concerning.

“Invisible Man” addresses the concepts of both institutionalized and internalized racism, and the statement this controversy makes is that the Randolph County School System doesn’t care about these issues.

Although Parson claimed her complaint revolved around language and sexual content, more lies under the surface of these accusations.

“There is a covert and unannounced theme of racism in the opposition to books like ‘Invisible Man,’” said McAlister.

And even if a book is considered inappropriate by administrators or parents, there are no grounds on which to ban it.

“People that support the banning of books don’t understand that literature is supposed to be disturbing,” said McAlister. “They think that literature is supposed to be happy and pretty and reinforce the most obvious morals rather than raise questions.”

Books are banned when they make people uncomfortable, which is all the more reason to read them.

“Books should be read,” said Whitlow. “Books should be discussed. Books should be debated.”

This discomfort stems from a recognition of inherent truth, particularly in the case of such a contentious novel. “Invisible Man” addresses the unfortunate yet universal theme of racism in America.

“A sense of alienation is a very common, maybe ubiquitous, American experience,” said Howard Shepherd, the high school English teacher responsible for my admiration of “Invisible Man.”

The underlying sentiment of societal estrangement is what makes “Invisible Man” the quintessential American novel.

“This book shines a light on a lot of very uncomfortable phenomenon in our culture,” said Shepherd.

As students, we must continue to read quality books promoting discussion and the exchange of ideas. We must continue to fight against those who refuse to see the validity of books that make us think.

Please, don’t let great literature become invisible.