Staff Editorial: Different tour, different experience

Birds of a feather flock together.

A recent survey suggests that a non-athlete/athlete divide holds true at Guilford College, a liberal institution that prides itself on testimonies of diversity and equality. Apparently many members of the community still feel a divide among groups on campus.

Theater studies plays with theater studies, science department mixes with science department, business majors interact with business majors. We are drawn to commonalities because that is who we spend the most time with in class and who we study with after class.

However, Guilford has athletes that came to Guilford for biology, philosophy, art — more than just the turf. Therefore, they are connected through more than just sports. So, just how sharp is this divide? Does it even exist?

Students usually meet new friends through their major and minor department. Meanwhile, our athletes spend a large chunk of time together outside of the classroom at practice and in games, building team chemistry. Most of them stay in residence halls together, securing this bond.

A potentially larger reason for a divide is that there are different recruitment strategies that may inadvertently create a separation.

Student-athlete tours differ from the tours that non-athletes receive. While recruiting athletes, coaches facilitate tours of campus that are tailored to the potential recruit, and some touring student-athletes spend a night with their prospective teammates to conclude their visit. These visitations are based on signing an athlete to play rather than helping that student to accomplish academic goals or see other aspects of Guilford.

When asked, one athlete mentioned that he wished he had been given the same tour that non-athletes were offered. On his tour with a coach, he wasn’t shown critical areas of campus, like the Learning Commons tutoring facilities or the Multicultural Education Resource Center.

Neglecting to share these Guilford highlights could inhibit the successes of student-athletes, although the athletic program insists that it focuses on victories off the field first and victories on the field second.

It is time we recognize that the recruitment tour system may be helping to foster a divided student body. Students applying to a diverse school like Guilford deserve a tour that accurately represents the campus experience.

While there are other potential reasons for the student/student-athlete divide, we suggest a step in the right direction is having a single tour that shines a light equally on both academics and athletics and introduces all students to the many corners of campus.