Making the most of the holidays

Worried about how to kill time during your new, lengthy winter break? Are you terrified that boredom will swallow you whole as you yearn for the Spring semester? Dreading the clash between college freedom and parental constraints that hits when you get home?

Don’t fret, Guilford! A winter break that is twice as long as last year’s means twice the fun! Thanks to the newly implemented J-term, rest and relaxation are doubled and holiday activities aren’t overshadowed by the looming second semester. To help beat your boredom blues, The Guilfordian Editorial Board got together and compiled a list of our favorite tips for enjoying time off. Consider trying some of these winter break activities to help you unwind from the stress of finals and fuel up for the spring.

Organize a caroling party with family and friends. Your neighbors will love the musical treat.

Catch up on all of the TV episodes you’ve missed, and maybe start a new on-demand obsession.

Dust off a book you’ve been dying to read and curl up on the couch. When you open it, you’ll surely be happy to find something with a topic other than gender norms, confirmation bias, or sustainability. If the thought of opening a book still makes you cringe post-finals, try a webcomic. Suggestion: questionablecontent.net

Some of us enjoy picking out a Christmas tree and choose to decorate it with lights, ornaments, garland and a hidden pickle. Others forgo the tree and just decorate the house — the brighter the better!

Take advantage of the things you can do at home but not in a dorm, like taking a bath by candlelight or showering without flip flops.

Curl up in pajamas with family or pets and watch the holiday classics that take over every television channel. Some of our favorites are “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964), “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” (1970), “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (1965), “A Christmas Story” (1983), “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946), or “Love Actually” (2003).

If there’s snow, go sledding. Even if there’s not, go sledding! Or, see if ice skating tickles your fancy.

Take advantage of all the yummy holiday foods you might try to swear off in your 2013 New Year’s resolutions. Bake cookies, make latkes, or try a new recipe. A few of our families’ classics can be found on The Guilfordian’s website.

Don’t forget that people aren’t the only hungry ones. Try your hand at a craft and make bird feeders to share with our feathered friends in this cold season. Simply snag a loose pine cone from outside, slather on some peanut butter, and dip it in some seeds. After hanging the feeder from a tree branch, they’ll love the snack and you’ll enjoy watching them swarm from the comfort of your own home.

Play board games with your family and friends! We recommend Monopoly, Risk, Apples to Apples and Crimes Against Humanity.

Check out the rest of our ideas at www.guilfordian.com!

Whatever you do this winter break, be sure to take some time to breathe. Treat yourself to simple things and quiet moments. Curl up under a blanket with your warm beverage of choice — cider or hot chocolate never fail — and take a deep whiff of holiday air. Spring will be here before you know it.