Learning to value community through Quaker process during a financial crisis

In the 1600s, George Fox started a movement in Northern England that became known as the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers. Quakers then began settling in North Carolina shortly after the birth of Quakerism. In the late 19th century, N.C. Quakers selected Greensboro as a central location for their New Garden Boarding School. This school led to the establishment of what we now know as Guilford College.

The basis of Quakerism is held in their testimonies of simplicity, peace, integrity, community and equality. In 2004, Guilford College established its set of seven core values of: community, diversity, integrity, equality, justice, stewardship and excellence.  So in 2004, I was pleased to have the opportunity to work at Guilford College with its rich Quaker heritage further affirmed by its own core values derived from the Quaker testimonies.

Guilford’s recent financial situation that created a budgetary shortfall has led to actions that have caused many among us to call into question Guilford College’s sincerity with respect to its core values. It seems the issue can be characterized as a tension between the value of stewardship and the value of community. Although stewardship is often not listed as one of the Quaker testimonies, it certainly is a principle that resonates with Quakers.  So most of us have been able to accept reasonable measures needed to ensure the survival of Guilford College. We had been advised throughout the open budgeting process that a “worst case” financial situation would involve position cuts. However, many among us were shocked in early June to learn the cuts were now a “done deal,” and employees had been terminated.  Some of the cuts were in vacant positions, but seven of the cuts were staff positions that resulted in community members losing their jobs at Guilford College. The tricky part is how to respect and value community throughout such a survival process that involves losing members of that very community. These losses and the lack of information unsettled our college community. We were not informed of what positions had been cut, just that positions had been cut.  Information about the positions and the people affected had to be learned through the campus grapevine.

While our administration has done a good job in very tough economic times, did they forget that these co-workers who no longer had a job had been a part of our community? On two occasions Friends Center did convene a Meeting for Worship in the manner of Friends.  However the lack of information available created a mood of shock and confusion rather than one of understanding and support for each other.  And why not hold a “reception of recognition” to thank those employees for their years of service?   That could have been a great opportunity for the community to gather round in mutual support while we came to terms with (and grieved) the losses. The lack of information felt like a secret purge. I don’t believe this has helped the morale of the remaining community. It may even call into question how open our community truly is.

According to the plans presented in the budgeting process there is still the possibility of more cuts next year. So, to channel the recognized founder of Quakerism: What would George Fox do?