Staff Editorial: What qualifies as awareness?

October is not just the month when trees shake their branches to clear the leaves that will ultimately collect in massive piles on the ground. Nor is it only the month where we get to dress up in creative costumes and consume an enormous amount of sweets. During the month of October we observe National Breast Cancer Awareness, Domestic Violence Awareness, Disability Awareness and other causes of which we should be aware.

How many pink products do we see this month on the shelves of stores trying to persuade us that every purchase is one step closer to a cure for breast cancer? How many people are willing to run or walk long distances because they are told every step counts? We all want to do our part and bring an end to breast cancer or help someone escape an abusive relationship.

Companies and organizations even try to lend a helping hand. But how do we know if we’re actually making progress or the money we help raise is actually being used for its original purpose?

Take the Susan G. Komen foundation. It is the most well-known organization that supports breast cancer and you can see the name on nearly every pink product sold in stores. But the organization has received criticism for benefitting from corporate partnerships that produce goods which contain harmful ingredients instead of focusing on promoting awareness on how breast cancer can be avoided or detected and how those who have been diagnosed can find a way to cope.

There is thus another important kind of awareness. It begins with knowing exactly what we are standing up for and how and where we can contribute. But it also means follow through to guarantee that our contributions are being used to make the difference we seek. How can we trust that the money we give to help others is actually helping? That isn’t to say we should be suspicious of every organization that is working towards helping a cause, but we should be informed.

Nobody should feel bad about questioning where the proceeds of an organization go because it is our duty to question if the organization is being honest. Don’t feel guilty about doing the research. Once you have the answers you seek, you can be confident that you are able to bring awareness to others.