Staff Editorial: Exploring the ‘Greater’ in ‘Greater Greensboro’

Do you tend to find yourself sitting in your dorm room bored? Or have you been caught complaining, once again, that there is nothing to do? If you discover yourself stuck in the “Guilford bubble,” do not give up hope just yet. The city of Greensboro is filled with places where you can burst the bubble.

Celebration Station, located at 4315 Big Tree Way, offers a unique park-like setting where every age group has an area to enjoy. Various packages offer unlimited go-karts, bumper boats, 20 arcade game tokens, and 60 minutes of unlimited pizza and soda. The family, food, and fun venue also has a website where online coupons can be printed out. A recent special included a one-hour batting-cage rental for the price of a half hour. Celebration Station offers both an indoor and outdoor environment and is a great place to pass time during rainy days.

For a more relaxed setting, Royal Hookah Lounge is located conveniently right across the street from campus. Some products include Hookah and tobacco products, gourmet coffee and teas, and fresh fruit smoothies. Customers must be 18 years or older and show a valid ID. The staff is friendly and the environment is laid back and tranquil. Royal Hookah is a great place to just smoke some hookah and kick back with friends — a real good bang for your buck. For more information, contact Royal Hookah at their business email, [email protected].

Low on money? Greensboro’s Bog Garden at Benjamin Park is perfect for a lovely nature walk. It is ranked No. 1 of 17 Greensboro attractions. The Garden offers a place to exercise and take walks in the shade, and you can bring pets. The peaceful, beautiful and colorful setting features elevated boardwalks, natural wetlands, stone pathways, and a plentiful flower landscape. Visitors can enjoy the sounds of water at Serenity Falls — a recirculating waterfall — while viewing the many varieties of plants, birds and other wildlife inhabiting the area. The Garden is located at 1101 Hobbs Road, and is open year-round from sunrise to sunset. Admission is free.

Greensboro is the third largest city in North Carolina, so there is no excuse for being a hermit! Guilford has a small campus but is smack dab in the middle of a metropolitan area. Even though we can sometimes feel stuck on an island, if you take the time to look there is always something to do. For other ideas on how to burst the bubble, check out websites like yelp.com to help guide you in the right direction.