ROTC cadet encounters disrespect

Michael Mellinger first chose Guilford College for the school’s outstanding German department and its new track and field program. He also picked it for its proximity to a host Reserved Officers’ Training Corps program that he could attend down the road at NC A&T University.

He became a cadet because he wanted to join the military after college in a leadership-based role. ROTC allowed him the opportunity to get an education “while being protected in school from deployment,” as he put it.

Despite Guilford’s academic and extracurricular opportunities that seemed to fit so well with Mellinger’s needs, he left after only a year.

He transferred his sophomore year due to several incidents of students shouting offensive slurs and a couple of incidents of people spitting at him while he was in uniform.

“I made sure to not react (because) I represented not only myself, but the United States as well,” he said.

So, to whom it may concern:

You’re anti-war? Fine. That’s your belief and I won’t judge you for it. I certainly won’t spit on you. I will, however, judge you for your actions. You’re disrespectful, you’re immature and you haven’t learned that your narrow-mindedness can profoundly impact your peers.

Your fellow student transferred because of you. You drove away a student from Guilford because you didn’t like what his uniform stood for.

Don’t hide behind your faith. That’s cowardly. I understand that Quakerism denounces warfare. I’m not asking you to support it. Though Guilford is a Quaker school, students are not required to adhere to the Quaker faith and anyone who differs in opinion or action has the right to do just that. You cannot justify your actions through faith, because no faith, not a single one, condones acting in this manner towards a fellow human.

It’s intolerance, plain and simple.

“Let it be known that I did not let these students get the best of me,” said Mellinger. “The administration was equally as bad, and that bothered me. My goal was to stay at Guilford for as long as possible to prove that I would not succumb to those who had a difference of opinion.

“I made a ton of good friends who accepted me for who I was. Some of my friends were Quakers. During my time there, they became my brothers — my family away from home.”

One of the main reasons that Mellinger finally transferred was that “most people (at Guilford) had no interest in anything but their beliefs,” which, he added, included professors.

At no point, said Mellinger, did the administration or student body carry out the values of equality and acceptance that Guilford touts, with the exception of a select few.

“The servicemen and women put themselves in harm’s way to defend a nation that has provided them with an opportunity to excel as human beings,” he said.

Guilford made him question this principle.

“I questioned the fact that if people treat me like this, what am I really defending? In the end, I would be defending my fellow soldiers, for they would be the only ones who would understand,” said Mellinger. “I would be defending my family and my friends, and that is more than enough reason to stand on the front line.”

Mellinger is currently a sophomore at Appalachian State University majoring in psychology, and he intends to study clinical abnormal psychology to help soldiers who suffer from PTSD.

He embodies the core values of our school. Someone who would treat a man in uniform as a second-class citizen, and who would go so far as to insult and intimidate him, does not embody these principles.

According to our school’s website, “Guilford’s longstanding mission is clear and distinctive: to provide a transformative, practical and excellent liberal arts education for every student.”

The “timeless” core values of community, diversity, equality, excellence, integrity, justice and stewardship that Guilford so proudly publicizes evidently fall short sometimes.

So, to whom it may concern: remember that you’re a part of the whole. You cannot expect that everyone you’ll meet in life will share your opinions and you cannot react to those who stand in opposition to your ideals by sinking so low that you would spit at another human being.