Meet the finalists for new dean of students

Last spring, students bid their goodbyes to Aaron Fetrow, the former vice president for student affairs and dean of students. Now, it is time to find someone new to fill his shoes.

“I am looking for a leader who will lift up the student experience at Guilford,” said Guilford College President Jane Fernandes, who will be selecting the new dean. “I like to hire great people and then let them do their jobs.”

According to the Guilford College website, “The vice president and dean provides leadership in learning-centered program development and promotes achievement, empowerment and integrity.”

With those criteria in mind, here are the four candidates for the position of vice president and dean of students.

Todd Clark

Todd Clark is currently the associate dean of students at Emory & Henry University. One of his major achievements there was increasing student retention rates while creating a community of inclusion.

“I bring a passion for student success and for diversity,” said Clark at the student forum on Thursday, Nov. 20.

Lisa Kirchner

Lisa Kirchner worked most recently at Terra State Community College as vice president for student success and dean of students. While she values professionalism, she believes a good attitude and sense of humor are equally important when connecting with students.

“My career has been guided by a passion and commitment for working with college students and helping them through the transitional, interpersonal and sometimes academic issues they face during college,” said Kirchner in her letter of interest.

Andy Wilson

Andrew “Andy” Wilson holds a Ph.D. with a focus in social justice education. He is currently the senior associate dean for campus life at Emory University.

“I believe that liberal arts education should consider students’ holistic experience by providing learning that enables them to embrace challenges and engage in critical inquiry and innovation,” said Wilson in his letter of interest.

Montrose Streeter

Montrose Streeter is currently the assistant vice president for student affairs at Hobart and William Smith Colleges.

A North Carolina native, he possesses skills within the scope of management, leadership and advocacy.

“I have retained a passion to positively impact student learning, both within and outside of the classroom,” said Streeter in his letter of interest.