Author Bill Bryson to talk about ‘A Walk in the Woods’

Once again, the Bryan Series has hit the ball out of the park. On Nov. 11, famous author Bill Bryson will be visiting campus and addressing the community at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Bryson is a bestselling American writer who has experimented with several genres of non-fiction. He has written books on travel, science and the English language.

As a realist and a humorist, the accomplished author has developed a cult-like following of devout fans.

Many enjoy the funny, witty, entertaining and knowledgeable nature of his writing.

“Of all the things I am not very good at, living in the real world is perhaps the most outstanding,” said Bryson in his book “I’m a Stranger Here Myself.”

This next chapter of the Bryan Series kicks off at 4:00 p.m. with an on-campus session where select students will be able to meet with Bryson and ask him questions. This group will consist of mostly, but not exclusively, students involved with environmental studies and writing.

The session will focus on analyzing his successful book, “A Walk in the Woods,” a book that is currently being made into a major motion picture starring Robert Redford. This comical story is about two friends hiking the Appalachian Trail. It has ties to environmental conservation and the importance of nature.

“When I read ‘A Walk in the Woods’ for the first time, I could not stop laughing for 75 pages — and I mean belly-aching laughter,” said Professor of English Jim Hood.

Students, as well as faculty, have expressed excitement for Bryson’s presentation.

“As a fan of his work, I cannot wait to put a face and a voice to his writing,” said senior and Bryson enthusiast Mitch Robinette.

Instructor of Art Maia Dery expressed that this presentation could be very influential and inspiring for the student body.

“Bryson has one of those passionately engaged dream jobs many traditional Guilford students think they might want to have someday,” said Dery. “He spent years developing his chops, growing accustomed to rejection and the hard work of writing before he became what he is today.”

The Bryan Series has been a successful program and has been growing annually. Past speakers include former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, author Toni Morrison and television journalist Tom Brokaw.

According to Associate Vice President of Communications and Marketing Ty Buckner, one of the most difficult and important processes for the Bryan Series is selecting speakers.

“The Bryan Series is a year-round effort,” said Buckner. “We are always looking for future speakers.”

This process includes countless hours of research, consultation with lecture centers across the country and communication with other universities with similar programs.

Speakers are selected by a combination of affordability, availability, popularity and the consistency with Guilford’s core values.

“Bryson will be an appropriate speaker for the community (and) will certainly be entertaining,” said Buckner.