Kent Grumbles talks staff wages

PROFESSIONAL STAFF SALARIES ARE NEAR THE 44TH PERCENTILE, HOURLY STAFF NEAR 50TH PERCENTILE

The Guilfordian asked Kent Grumbles, the director of institutional research and assessment, how staff salaries at Guilford College fared by the numbers.

Q: Can you tell me what the pay percentile is for staff members? 

A: Staff — as in, professional staff — salaries are at the 44th percentile. That is the average percentile ranking for 89 different positions.

That means that among our comparison group (in this case, our comparison group is all private colleges with a budget similar to Guilford’s), Guilford professional staff are at the 44th percentile, meaning 56 percent of all people in that job make more and 43 percent make less.

Q: Who are considered staff at Guilford? 

A: Support staff are hourly positions: such as security guards, housekeepers, grounds people and some clerical positions. Their average salary percentile is 50 percent, meaning half of the comparison group makes more and half makes less.

The average faculty salary is at the 27th percentile.

Q: How far does your input extend? 

A: I’m not in any way involved in the decision making process at Guilford other than providing data for others.

I collect data from other offices on campus, and use that data for reporting purposes, but I’m not asked to make judgments or decisions based on that data.

The president, vice presidents and ultimately the board are the decision-making entities.