Bursavich announces retirement: Vice President for Finance plans to step down this year

Guilford College’s Vice President for Finance Greg Bursavich has made public his plans to retire on June 30.

After his four years here, Bursavich has not only impacted Guilford but claims he has been deeply impacted by the College.

“I was looking for something special, a place to wind down my career, a place that I had never really experienced, and Guilford was that place,” said Bursavich.

And Guilford was a good fit for him, according to his co-workers.

“He is very friendly and honest,” said Student Financial Services Counselor Vanessa Reese. “He has an open door policy. So, if you ever have questions, he always lets you into his office.”

Reese isn’t the only one who says says she will miss Bursavich around campus.

“He is very professional but also approachable,” said Campus Visit Facilitator Sheila Siler. “He has a very positive presence.”

Looking back on his time at Guilford, Bursavich hopes that he made a difference in students’ lives.

“I am glad I came to 66 (years) and felt like I was doing something that mattered,” said Bursavich. “I’d like to believe that I really helped students.”

Bursavich’s hard work has not gone unnoticed.

“He has always been very on top of the changes in our office,” said Reese.

Working in the finance department, however, is not always a walk in the park.

“We did what we had to do when budgets were cut,” said Bursavich. “It was not pleasant, it was not fun, and it was very difficult to do. But, it was necessary.”

Guilford’s Administrative Program and Services Assessment was in high gear with Bursavich as one of the APSA committee members.

“There were eight to 10 of us working together to make the administrative processes work better,” said Bursavich. “It was very difficult, but every member worked hard with great honesty and integrity.”

Since the effects of APSA would touch the Guilford community so directly and deeply, the committee’s feat was not an easy one.

“Not only was APSA difficult and controversial, it was also very time-consuming for over two years,” said Bursavich. “It was very stressful dealing with those issues.”

Regardless of the many pressures and difficulties, Bursavich praises the APSA committee’s dedication and hard work.

“I would ask that the community appreciate and honor APSA for its huge efforts over the years,” said Bursavich. “I just hope that the people and community recognize APSA for its service.”

As for Bursavich’s plans for post-Guilford life, music is in the air.

“One reason I am leaving is to spend a lot of time with my wife, kids and now grandkids,” said Bursavich. “Also, I’d like to learn how to play the guitar.”